Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a free Concerto from a workmate but it has a smashed rear windscreen.

The car has Mot until July, needed welding last year and is a 1.6 (130bhp version).

It would seem like a good car to get, especially for free but it's proving very hard to source a rear windscreen and as I have no garage, I'm thinking that by the time it needs an mot (and probably more welding) that I would be lucky to find a screen in that time and it would have been a pointless excersise. Also, having a car with no back window sitting out on the road is not a good idea in Glasgow as people will assume it's abandoned and see if the other windows smash in a similar fashion.

I'm veering towards declining the offer, but maybe I'm missing a trick on having a practical 2nd (ok 3rd) car..

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
If its a 1990 then i just found this statement on a web site

the Rover 200 of the same age uses the same glass. not sure myself but worth a look
also this
http://www.carsparefinder.com.au/Car/HONDA/CONCERTO-5Dr-HatchBack/

might be worth a pm to blackbullet on here as he has a Honda and may know of some parts that might be available.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If its the early 90s model it is almost the same car as the Rover 200 of the same vintage so I presume the glass will fit, possibly even a whole hatchback thing. Friend of mine has run one for years, never misses a beat. I'd snap it up if I was you.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
If it needed welding on the MOT last year id leave it where it is. WHen cars get so bad they will need welding everyyear when it comes to an MOT time. More than likley be a money pit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd take it, get a rover 200 tailgate and sell the thing straight on.

And if the area you live is so ropey that having a car with a broken window is likely to attract vandalism to destruction, then presumably dumping the thing if it's not MOTable won't be a problem

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I declined the offer today as I know I don't have the time to try and sort it and it'll just be a nuisance.

I wouldn't take the car just to scrap it for some money as the owner is someone I respect and I do have some decency, anyway, what scrapyard gives money for cars these days?

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Not much me and the gf asked about scrapping her old battered fiesta! I couldn't personally swap/sell/trade in a car what someone had given to me unless they said heres a car sell it and keep what you can make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.