Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a free Concerto from a workmate but it has a smashed rear windscreen.

The car has Mot until July, needed welding last year and is a 1.6 (130bhp version).

It would seem like a good car to get, especially for free but it's proving very hard to source a rear windscreen and as I have no garage, I'm thinking that by the time it needs an mot (and probably more welding) that I would be lucky to find a screen in that time and it would have been a pointless excersise. Also, having a car with no back window sitting out on the road is not a good idea in Glasgow as people will assume it's abandoned and see if the other windows smash in a similar fashion.

I'm veering towards declining the offer, but maybe I'm missing a trick on having a practical 2nd (ok 3rd) car..

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
If its a 1990 then i just found this statement on a web site

the Rover 200 of the same age uses the same glass. not sure myself but worth a look
also this
http://www.carsparefinder.com.au/Car/HONDA/CONCERTO-5Dr-HatchBack/

might be worth a pm to blackbullet on here as he has a Honda and may know of some parts that might be available.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If its the early 90s model it is almost the same car as the Rover 200 of the same vintage so I presume the glass will fit, possibly even a whole hatchback thing. Friend of mine has run one for years, never misses a beat. I'd snap it up if I was you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd take it, get a rover 200 tailgate and sell the thing straight on.

And if the area you live is so ropey that having a car with a broken window is likely to attract vandalism to destruction, then presumably dumping the thing if it's not MOTable won't be a problem

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I declined the offer today as I know I don't have the time to try and sort it and it'll just be a nuisance.

I wouldn't take the car just to scrap it for some money as the owner is someone I respect and I do have some decency, anyway, what scrapyard gives money for cars these days?

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Not much me and the gf asked about scrapping her old battered fiesta! I couldn't personally swap/sell/trade in a car what someone had given to me unless they said heres a car sell it and keep what you can make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts