Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Was hoping to call upon those of you who've fitted oil filter sandwich plates, specifically with senders for oil temp/pressure etc. In one sentence: Is the lack of tape the most probable cause of my leakage?

Over a year ago, I tried fitting a sandwich plate by Prosport to take readings for my oil pressure and temperature. The plate has threads for 4 senders, so I blanked two with the supplied fittings and then fitted the senders (all supplied by Prosport). I applied oil to the gasket prior to fitting it to the block, torquing the adapter up according to Prosport's specification (around 33 ft.lbs).

I found it was leaking oil when I noticed a few drips on the floor after a drive out. Given the position of the filter, I couldn't get a close enough look, but it was definately coming from the sandwich plate. I tried some liquid gasket on the plate's gasket (twin o-rings joined together), but had the same problem.

One thing I didn't do was apply PTFE tape to the senders and blanking plugs before fitting the plate... At the time I didn't think the oil could pass through the threads, but let's just say my mechanical knowledge is better now than it was back then... I've taped the threads now, but not had the courage to try it again!

Cheers in advance guys!

ZB.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Interested in this advice also.

·
Tea of the Sea
833 Posts
you shouldnt really use PTFE tape for oil related fittings. if it comes off and gets in the oil it can fudge your pump etc. so be careful if you do use it. you should get proper teflon thread paste, as it is the balls.

if it is the actual face of the sandwich that is leaking, use some liquid gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.