Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
So, I'm getting close to done on my different headlight cover so i'm starting the next project which is a bootlid with built in spoiler.

Today I started prepping the donor bootlid, actually in really good nick, only the slightest bit of surface rust underneath and a bit of a dip in the the middle where the previous spoiler had bent it, but a little bit of filer sorted that out easily. covered hole from previous spoiler with masking tape and filed from behind with some fibreglass filler. Think I will be removing all the seam sealer from the underneath before molding.

Checking the curvature of the plastic i've got to see if it fits in with the rear of the lid... I think it does...

Then getting the dremel out and cutting alot of slots into the plasic to held me curve it around the rear of the boot lid.

And taping it to the boot lid to see if i can get it to curve enough.

building up the frame work for the spoiler. through the miracle of masking tape I have tried a few different heights for the spoiler

And then got strange looks from all the neighbours when i tried it on the car. tried a few different heights here too, just trying to decide which one to choose. Just to note, the spoiler isn't going to be that long, its going to stop at the edge of the bootlid, I will make some end bits that attach to the car to finish the curve, or i might just leave it. also, the back edge will be filled in, like the usual ducktail spoiler.

LOW

MIDDLE

HIGH

Any one got a prefered height? I quite like it at its lowest, the girlfriend prefers the highest, she's usually got better taste than me

more pics HERE and all teh future ones will be added here to save you looking through all the forthcoming pages to see them, I think there will be a few.....

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I like bottom pic.

You have far too much spare time!

Pat...

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Looks like it is going to be good

I've just had a fright with my car regarding rust in the same place as you have it above the bumper in this pic. You might want to get it sorted out soon and check the rest of the car out before you have a big job on your hands.

Mine wasn't as far along the bumper as yours, but had removed more paint, but the part that holds the rear bumper to the car was pretty well rusted. I had to replace the front wings for the same reason as the part that bolts to the bumper had completely rusted away. I've caught the rears just in time and have ground out the rust and treated it.

Mine:

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it is going to be good

I've just had a fright with my car regarding rust in the same place as you have it above the bumper in this pic. You might want to get it sorted out soon and check the rest of the car out before you have a big job on your hands.

Mine wasn't as far along the bumper as yours, but had removed more paint, but the part that holds the rear bumper to the car was pretty well rusted. I had to replace the front wings for the same reason as the part that bolts to the bumper had completely rusted away. I've caught the rears just in time and have ground out the rust and treated it.
Yeah i know
on mine i think it's cos teh battery has been leaking, picked up another one on saturday and will be doing a load of work on that quarter this weekend coming.... I'm hoping I don't need to weld anything yet cos my welder is at my mates, and i don't have garage space any more

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
on mine i think it's cos teh battery has been leaking,
Mine was because there was about a field's worth of crud in the void above and below the bolt in that area.

I've now covered it in lashings of waxoyl (after the grinding, kurusting and painting) and it has taught me the lesson that I need to clean my car more often

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
real quick update with some hideous pictures taken in the dark.

Finished rough structure of the spoiler I think it looks good

covered the curved plastic sectioning in masking tape to help check shape is even etc, I need to do some shaping of the lip, and smoothing into the boot lid, sorry i took the photos in the dark
I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow, with the masking tape removed so people can see the structure too

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again cracking effort that man!

I prefer the highest setting, but also think it should get shallower to the edges.

Hi Phil

yeah, after asking a few mates, some comments here, and some pms, i was soundly out-voted and the plug is getting molded at the "high" level.

I've still go to trim the trailing edge, and it will get slightly lower towards the edges, but not much. I will be molding up a small end bit for each end which will be attached to the car to finish off the taper to the car, for 2 reasons really, 1 so its optional, and people can have squared off edges, or a smoother transition (if there is enough interest to do a small run) second, it allows me to get a wing that goes full width and keeps the molding easier

Thanks for the kind words

Hoping to get the spoiler molded by end of bank holiday, then first one out of teh mold will be bonded and smoothed into boot lid to make plug for full boot lid, that way if there is interest i can make just spoilers or the whole lot in one piece

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
I enjoy reading your threads/projects, Yeti. I wish I had the skills/knowledge to have a go at fabbing stuff like you do, although I suspect I'd end up fibreglassing myself to the garage roof.

Spoiler is looking good already. I assume it will be blended into the bootlid for a nice smooth transition from bootlid to spoiler? And how are you going to do the ends? Will they be fairly square as they are now or more rounded?

Keep up the good work!

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I enjoy reading your threads/projects, Yeti. I wish I had the skills/knowledge to have a go at fabbing stuff like you do, although I suspect I'd end up fibreglassing myself to the garage roof.

Spoiler is looking good already. I assume it will be blended into the bootlid for a nice smooth transition from bootlid to spoiler? And how are you going to do the ends? Will they be fairly square as they are now or more rounded?

Keep up the good work!
Hi monkfish

thanks for the kind words
it's not hard stuff to do though, sheer bloody mindedness is my key to it lol

the leading and trailing edges will indeed be smoothed into the boot lid itself. The left and right sides will be left square. But i will be making small sections that will bond to the car either side of the bootlid to continue the curve to the body of the car.

Maybe i should start putting my sketches on these threads to so people can see what i'm aiming for rather than my present rolf harris "can you tell what it is yet" approach....

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doh, so once again i get a few weeks in, and i'm not happy with how it is shaping up. Having a few issues with getting an even shape, and i think the flat section in the middle was a mistake, so rather than carrying on with this, I'm gonna start all over again
dammit, one day i'll get a project right start to finish in one go lol.

Any way, here are the pics as far as i got with this plug, edges aren't trimmed vertical yet, so it looks a bit "fan like" but that is easy to sort.

The big question no is, seeing as i am starting again, and taking into account some design choices are not going to change, such as the vertical cut off on the side and optional additional bits on the car to bring it into line with the body work, what should i change?

I'm thinking it needs to be slightly bigger, but coming lower at the edges. and not all made of curve. Anyone got any opinions?

any way, pics of the dead one:-

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
... But i will be making small sections that will bond to the car either side of the bootlid to continue the curve to the body of the car.

Maybe i should start putting my sketches on these threads to so people can see what i'm aiming for rather than my present rolf harris "can you tell what it is yet" approach....
I know what you mean. The ST185 Celica GT-4 has the same idea...

I'm not too sure how something similar would look on a '5. Going on the way your current spoiler curves, the 'spats' would have to curve down abruptly and it might look a little odd. Perhaps having a gently curving spoiler (like some of the ducktails) that continues on to the spats would be better? Post your sketches!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.