Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Code Monkey
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the missus are looking at getting broadband set up in the house we've recently moved into, the question is, do I want to pay for fibre optic? or will regular broadband be ok?

I've checked and I can get up to about 60meg fibre optic speeds at the house, or the normal 4/11meg speeds with regular broadband.

It'll be used quite a lot I'd of thought, and I'll use it for online gaming some what.

Has anyone moved from broadband to fibre and found it to be better? or is it relatively unnoticeable? and vice-versa.

Cheers,
-Lew

Also, what packages would you recommend? who's not going to rip me off!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
We went from bt broadband to bt infinity and yes it is faster (from 8 meg down to 40 meg down)

But to be honest, it's not that much that I think I would miss it if I went back!

I stuck with bt as I've tried different providers (O2, sky etc) and had more problems than a little with them..

That said, If I could get virgin where I live, I'd be with them in a heartbeat

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,617 Posts
If you're likely to get into using any cloud type storage, then upload speed will become an issue.

We're looking to upgrade from 8Mb/s broadband, but only because the kids are hogging it.

·
Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Im with Virgin and bar the odd little hiccup its been great. On the 100mb package as I work from home and have to say that its pretty darn slick. Even with me working, the wife browsing the net and the mother-in-law watching chinese TV online there's no dip in performance.

This is with me 'working' and the M-In-Law watching TV

·
Detects stupidity. Attacks without mercy.
13,356 Posts
Yep, im with Virgin Media too, and recently got bumped up to 100+ speeds. I download A LOT - many films at 5-10GB a week, and theres something sweet about seeing a movie flowing through the pipe at 12 mb/sec. You can download a 1080p movie before you finished reading the review on IMDB! Plus i do some online gaming too.
That said, it aint cheap - im paying over £40 a month with the phone, though i suspect i need to call them as i think the standard rate has actually dropped a few quid. And to be honest, in a couple of months im thinking of dropping back down to 60meg, as that is plenty quick enough and will save me a tenner a month.

So if you are into your downloaded movies, then its money well spent. If not, its overkill.

·
Premium Member
17,682 Posts
Is that on cable? Because that's pretty impressive.

BT cap your linespeed, they are lying if they say they don't. I went from BT 2Mb (that they claimed wasn't capped) to Eclipse. I didn't even change router, I just flashed it to get rid of the ISP restriction and it went up to 18Mb.

I wouldn't get fibre quite yet until the price comes down, there's still quite a differential at the moment.

Daz

·
Oh, hai!
4,970 Posts
www.samknows.com

I'm with BT Infinity, costs £25/month for unlimited (I'm on Option 2) and that gets me 'up to' 70Mb/s. Typical download speeds on the laptop wifi from a decent source sees me with up to 3MB/s. Typical speed from most other sources is about 1MBs. Plenty fast enough for my needs (Netflix and XBox).

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What's your postcode (or local exchange)?

You can check online to see which providers provide the best speeds to your house at the samknows website - providers that have unbundled LLU at your exchange should offer up to 20 meg on a normal BT line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.