Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run 14 degree timing advance. Over this weekend I plan on doing the exhintake cam mod.

Would it be best to return to 10 degree timing or will 14 degree be fine?

· Registered
6,268 Posts
when i spoke to a coupple of people about this i was told that 14 deg was fine with it, unless ur heads skimmed.

· Registered
6,268 Posts
exhintake mod, removes the stock intake cam and replaces it with an exhaust cam, for slightly longer lift/duration.

· Registered
2,047 Posts
Keep it at 14º for now, I take it you are not 'charged, so you can also advance the intake cam an extra 3º.
After thoroughly researching this mod, to get the best out of it you will need to put it on a dyno. Also see the Blink thread in the Power Mods section about finding the sweet spot on your base timing, do this first with the intake cam set at 197.5º, then play about with the cam timing.
If you do not want to dyno then adding the extra 3º on the intake cam is safe enough.

· Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
exhintake mod, removes the stock intake cam and replaces it with an exhaust cam, for slightly longer lift/duration.
Lift is the same just longer duration

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep it at 14º for now, I take it you are not 'charged, so you can also advance the intake cam an extra 3º.
After thoroughly researching this mod, to get the best out of it you will need to put it on a dyno. Also see the Blink thread in the Power Mods section about finding the sweet spot on your base timing, do this first with the intake cam set at 197.5º, then play about with the cam timing.
If you do not want to dyno then adding the extra 3º on the intake cam is safe enough.
so bump it to 18 degrees? i only use tesco super unleaded anyway so i was thinking of bumping it up a bit

· Registered
1,581 Posts
I think Freaky is refering to advancing the cam to 200.5 degrees rather than going to 18 degrees instead of 14. Though to be fair only some people in the US have problems running at 18, normally due to their fuel being terrible (Shell V-Power at 92 rating...seriously).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.