Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought about 4 years ago - mx5parts duel exhaust. quite simply -its a bit bloody loud but i can't remember what it was like when i first got it so im not sure if it has gradually got that way or it is more noticable because the girlfriend is getting grief from her neighbours. i've been reading the info on repacking the back box....

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32210&st=40

but is this really going to quieten down this exhaust - i know there are a few out there on this forum that have the same exhaust, have you ever had the same problem?, managed to come up with a solution? or should i start saving for a new one !!!

cheers

greg

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
bought about 4 years ago - mx5parts duel exhaust. quite simply -its a bit bloody loud but i can't remember what it was like when i first got it so im not sure if it has gradually got that way or it is more noticable because the girlfriend is getting grief from her neighbours. i've been reading the info on repacking the back box....

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32210&st=40

but is this really going to quieten down this exhaust - i know there are a few out there on this forum that have the same exhaust, have you ever had the same problem?, managed to come up with a solution? or should i start saving for a new one !!!

cheers

greg
i put a turbo on mine quietened it down a treat

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks for that input!! i'll let you know when i have a few spare pennies and you can fit it for me!!

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
Have the neighbours only just started to complain? or have they always whinged about the noise? Are they new neighbours? or have the old neighbours just recently got new hearing aids?

repacking the cans should help quieten things down a bit, but I can't think that the mx5parts duals are obscenely loud tbh?

are you running a de-cat pipe? if so maybe a change might help, a change of neighbours might help too:lol:

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
when i first put mine on with a decat pipe it was unbearably loud had to put the cat back on

what about those that motor-bikers use that go in the tail pipe do they not work ?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the quick replies, had a silenced de-cat on it - OMG! only lasted one trip round the block! so that was replaced with the original cat.
the girlfriend is new so therefore the neighbours are new to the mx5 scene and they are like victor meldrew et al.
i have tried the motorbike silencers and to be honest - i didnt think they worked. the mx5parts duels i have heard from many to be one of the louder ones.

when you talk about restrictions how exactly is that done?

thanks

greg

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think Greg is doing the right thing in sacrificing a bit of exhaust volume for community spirit. It's easy to forget that not everyone is car mad and some people find loud car exhausts really annoying, just as I find those ridiculously loud hairdryer scooters that buzz around the place tiring.

Anyway, there are a few options open to you that I can think of to reduce the volume of the exhaust besides repacking the backbox:

1) Change the back box.
2) Chop the mid-pipe and have an exhaust manufacturer weld/bolt in the longest silencer in there that will fit.
3) Have some exhaust bungs fabricated and fit them in the tailpipes.
4) Have a user controlled butterfly valve (such as the Apexi ECV) fitted in the mid-pipe.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Also remember if the baffles are gone on this these exhausts carry a 5 year warranty

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
one thing to bear in mind though.. is it ever going to stop them complaining ?

I have a neighbour who started complaining about the exhaust in the morning.. so i started taking every care i could.

We even got to the point where i'd park facing a specific direction as he had asked so as i could drive straight off without having to do a reverse manouvere.. and in the winter i had to drive round the corner with my head out of the window to park up and defrost the car.

Even with all this he still finds cause to complain.. so now i given up and just dirve it how i want to. If i piss him off so fuckin what.. he's old.. i bet he used to cause more bother in his early days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why aggravate the people you live near for the sake of sounding like a Corsa with a nail through its exhaust?

As you get older you realize that people don't hear a loud exhaust and think 'wow, that's a cool car', they just think 'wanker'.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
IIRC the Mx5 Parts Duels have baffles, so repacking is not a option. I recently fitted a 4-2-1 manifold on mine which quietened and softened the sound. It sounds warmer than it did before and much more acceptable between 60 - 70 at 3-4k rpm!

It was getting to the point where I'd had enough of being deaf or perhaps I've gone deaf and the manifold did nothing!

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is no help to you but it may warn others, I fitted an mx5 parts single exit s/steel exhaust to my mk1 about 6 weeks ago and I'm regretting it. It sounds great on short spirited blasts but I really don't think I could bear it for long drives, its deafening, I honestly think ITS SPOILT THE CAR, and if I was to undertake some of the long drives we did in the 5 last summer I will have to invest in some form of ear plugs or small in the ear headphones from the radio but then I would have to find away of running two sets of headphones from one phono socket. But all this kills one of the best things about topless motoring that is listening to the car whilst driving.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
This is no help to you but it may warn others, I fitted an mx5 parts single exit s/steel exhaust to my mk1 about 6 weeks ago and I'm regretting it. It sounds great on short spirited blasts but I really don't think I could bear it for long drives, its deafening, I honestly think ITS SPOILT THE CAR, and if I was to undertake some of the long drives we did in the 5 last summer I will have to invest in some form of ear plugs or small in the ear headphones from the radio but then I would have to find away of running two sets of headphones from one phono socket. But all this kills one of the best things about topless motoring that is listening to the car whilst driving.

Jeff
pussy, lol
the 5parts single is a very nice sounding exhaust.. it does get tedious on the motorway but thats why they invented alternative a road routes

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
pussy, lol
the 5parts single is a very nice sounding exhaust.. it does get tedious on the motorway but thats why they invented alternative a road routes
Lol... yeah HTFU wimps.

I've got the dual on mine.. yeah it's loud I live in a block of flats with a load of old croneys... no one has complained yet... was thinkin bout a de-cat... they may complain then!

I love mine though... sometimes a little annoying on the motorway with the roof up.... so I just got a windbreak and will put the roof down.

My commute involves a tunnel.... awesome

1 - 20 of 35 Posts