Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of months of my bbk backbox the noise at times can be a bit too much.
What are my options?

Swap back to standard?
Put the cat back on?
Exhaust bung?
More wadding in the exhaust?

I do like a nice sound from the exhaust so wondered if putting t he cat back on would be better, though I worry about losing a bit of power?

Any ideas welcome . The cheaper the better

· Registered
9,546 Posts
Do you have the sound deadening still on the shelf? I don't have, but I find a bit of chipboard in the boot well makes it softer on the ear. Marginal, but effective. When I get chance I will get another of the heavy black sheets under the shelf carpet.

The cat might rob a bit of power, but I'm not sure anybody would really notice unless side by side competatively. I would bolt it back in if you have it. There is nothing like giving it a go for yourself.

Can you add more wadding? It's not usually an easy job.

· was b0builder
6,487 Posts
put a turbo on your car that works wonders

· Registered
3,909 Posts
I am researching options on my mk3 at present as mine is 'call the cops loud'.

Was very sporty standard with Rodders back box, got louder when 2nd cat removed, now awesome for a B road blast but wife hates it.

Looking at performance back boxes that don't reduce the output yet are trackday friendly.

Just got to decide which one to get.

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will putting the cat back on make a reasonable difference? I want to keep some noise but not the Police attention

· Registered
88 Posts
I was in the same situation as you,I put the cat back on and it just takes annoyance away but still sounds sporty.Didn't notice any difference in peformance either.

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't the 2 above contradict?

Why are they better than just putting the cat back in?

· Jimmy P
1,447 Posts
I wouldn't worry too too much about the local 5-0 pat mine has been varying shades of f'n loud, even up to straight pipe no cat one cherry bomb back box and I've never had any issues.
If you need a hand or spares mate gimme a shout

· Registered
9,546 Posts
Don't the 2 above contradict?

Why are they better than just putting the cat back in?
People that reffuse to have the cat but want some dampening will fit a silencer in it's place. They just bolt in, and are available a few places. They won't dampen the noise as much as a cat though.
If you want cat like dampening without a cat your going to need a silencer bigger than the gap a cat leaves. A long one that replaces quite a bit of the center pipe.

Both reasonable options. I would stick the cat in though. There is no noticeable loss to avoid.

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the explanation. Seeing as I still have my cat, I may as well get it refitted.

Jimmy - it also annoys my ears somewhat on a wet dark morning. Although going under bridges is pretty awesome! Cheers for the offer of help/spares. I have my cat from before so I'll hopefully be able to use that and ask local mechanic to fit in...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.