Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thought i'd start a progress thread on my 2nd mx5.

Got me a jdm vs spec 1.8 mk2, bought with no mot with thoughts of possibly breaking.

Drove so well i stuck it in for a test and it passed, not even an advisory :D

It's a second car so i can sit and toy with it at my leisure

Was ratther mucky when i picked it up as the soft top is fubared (on the list of things to do)

Gave it a good scrub and came up ok, for now.
20121205_143535.jpg

20121205_143521.jpg

Need to source a hood and nsf wing.

As for mods it's been treated to an ebay induction kit i had in the garage, and the momo alloys off my mk1.

I'd love to squeeze some more power out of it, so open to all suggestions and little tricks.

I gave it an oil and filter change and changed the alternator drive belt thet was squeeling.

Plan to do the plugs soon, any suggestions on best ones?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks nice, not a fan of the aftermarket wheels personally but I don't know what was on it before!

Sounds like it has similar issues to mine, I need a new roof and I'm halfway through a service and I changed the aux belts. Plugs were replaced with the longer NGK items from MX-5 parts and I have some 0w40 Mobil1 to go in.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
looks lovely mate. i wanted something similar myself a couple of weeks ago but couldnt find a nice mk2 with the oe lip, so ended up with a tatty mk2.5 track slag.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for all the comments guys

Had the car Dyno'd today, not sure what to make of the figures.

Not sure what stock is for the jdm 1.8 but less than 100bhp at the wheels i found a bit disappointing

The guys running it, seemed to think it was a good result.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
my 1.8 mk1 made 93 at the wheels on a dyno known for it's accuracy.

don't take a single note on the flywheel power, it's all about what number they wanted to add on on the day - there is no accurate way of measuring it short of putting your engine on an engine dyno.

Dan

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my 1.8 mk1 made 93 at the wheels on a dyno known for it's accuracy.

don't take a single note on the flywheel power, it's all about what number they wanted to add on on the day - there is no accurate way of measuring it short of putting your engine on an engine dyno.

Dan
Just had that exact discussion with my mate, can't see how fly can be accurately measured when you can't get to it.

So you think 99.6 at the wheels is about right then?

·
watch this...
4,270 Posts
I'd say its not bad for a 14 year old car... the arse dyno is more important than anything with mx5s

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine made 107 at the wheels, 132 calculated at the fly.

The Dyno works it out (DynoDynamic's anyway) from the resistance in the drivetrain in the 'running down' from peak speed/revs after the run (as far as I know).
Thats an extra 7 whp i want

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine made 107 at the wheels, 132 calculated at the fly.

The Dyno works it out (DynoDynamic's anyway) from the resistance in the drivetrain in the 'running down' from peak speed/revs after the run (as far as I know).
Thats an extra 7 whp i want

[/quote]

Can't help I'm afraid! I've done a Mobil1 oil change, fuel filter and K&N panel filter since as well!

How many miles has yours done?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nice 5, i would like to get mine on the dyno but i think it would just upset me. did you add the clear reflectors and side indicators? Also you going to get an offset number plate?
I took the clear indies off my mk1, might tint bumper ones though.

Gonna go for a smaller front plate but keep central.

I checked my odometer against sat nav and seems I'm still recording in kph, so only done about 56k :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not a lot to update, Had to free off a sticky front caliper due to car not moving for 3 weeks.

Did replace the torn gear shift gaitor, and fitted a matching one for the handbrake.

Looks like an awfull colour match but in truth it's pretty close.

My reason for such a small update is i been busy working on my other project

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.