Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since purchasing our R Ltd last March, I took it in for MOT yesterday & the records show the car as a MX5 (as does the registration document).
I know that this has happened to other owners so I wondered if it is possible to re-register & if it is relatively straight forward? It is a 94 model imported in 2001.

Paul

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Not sure if you will be able to re-register it. But why would you, generally insurance is cheaper when listed as an mx5 over the eunos, it will help parts places with basic systems look up things easier too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Since purchasing our R Ltd last March, I took it in for MOT yesterday & the records show the car as a MX5 (as does the registration document).
I know that this has happened to other owners so I wondered if it is possible to re-register & if it is relatively straight forward? It is a 94 model imported in 2001.

Paul
There's nothing to stop you sending your V5C back to DVLA with a covering letter asking them to change it, as it's not a fundamental change like a VIN no., shouldn't be a problem. But does it really matter? The V5C for my recently purchased Eunos says it's an MX5, but also says it's imported, as long as you insure it as a Eunos, and don't mislead anybody when you sell it, why worry? If you insure it as an MX5 expect problems if you have to claim! Insurance assessors are very wise to the difference.
Bernard

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I believe some people have had issues with their insurers over this. It also affects exemptions in the MOT I think (license plate size and location and different emissions criteria for imports maybe? - somebody will surely be along to correct me if not).

I have the same situation and made sure my insurer was happy and had it all detailed in their notes.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
My Mk2 is an imported Roadster but the reg doc says MX 5. I told the insurance that it's an import, although I could have maybe stuck with what it says on the V5.

Mick

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did insure it as a Eunos import. I may well send off to the DVLA as I would prefer that the car is registered for the model it actually is to prevent possible confusion in the future.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It could be worse! The details shown on the V5C are the details given to them when the vehicle was first registered in this country, and different people have different ideas how to describe them. I've got a Pajero, with the exception of the rare soft-top, all Pajeros are estates, the UK equivalent Shoguns were registered as such. Mine's described on the reg document as a saloon. That's harmless enough, but a number of owners living in or around London got a bit of a shock when the low emission zones were introduced. Their vehicles were registered as "dual-purpose utility vehicles", and because of the age of them and not being to the required emission specs., they received warning letters telling them they'd have to pay £200 a day to drive in London! In every case known to the owner's club they were able to write to the DVLA with photographs proving them to be estate cars, get the description changed to "estate" and avoid the charge, which was aimed at goods vehicles. What I'd be interested to know, does anybody reading this own a post-2001 built import Eunos, is it taxed according to emissions as the UK ones are?
Bernard

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did this a few months back, sent my V5 back to DVLA with a couple of pictures showing my VIN plate and a couple of the Eunos/Roadster badges along with a covering letter explaining that i wanted it to be changed so it can be insured/MOT'd correctly, about 6 weeks later i received a new V5 with no questions asked.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It matters not what it says on the V5 for MOT (they go by VIN number ) or insurance. Most other import cars have the same model name here as they do in Japan and they are still classed as imports and still need to be declared as imports to the insurance company and will still have the same MOT requirements.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did this for mine recently. Initially followed the forum advice and contacted the DVLA, but they would not make the change and instead pointed me in the direction of Mazda uk. There I spoke to the 'homologations manager' who could sort it out, then needed to send original V5 plus cheque for 35 pounds to Mazda, new v5 arrived a little while later.

Just google the main mazda uk number the switchboard will put you through to Dean.

I did this as I wanted to decat my 92 vspec and not have any hassle at mot time.

·
erk alors el blast from th' past dude
4,480 Posts
It matters not what it says on the V5 for MOT (they go by VIN number ) or insurance. Most other import cars have the same model name here as they do in Japan and they are still classed as imports and still need to be declared as imports to the insurance company and will still have the same MOT requirements.
With the exception of MOT emission requirements which in some cases are more relaxed for Eunos models

https://www.mx5oc.co...ms/t/15557.aspx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.