Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Engine Mount Following A Supercharger Install

843 views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  thetyrant@carbotech 
#1 ·
Hi

I have noticed that my engine is moving for about 1 inch travel when I crank. Is it a sign of engine mount on their way out ? What should I do to replace them (hope not) as it must be a big job
. Do you know if there is a topic related to that ?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
So how easy it is ? do i need to remove the engine from the bay or just lift it ? do I need a jack, or an engine crane ? (for my personal knowledge)

thanks anyway I thought that was a lot of travel but obviously it is fine

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Heres one i found yesterday after 2 seconds on google
- http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=204971&highlight=motor+mounts

Edit to add - ive also read on other guides you dont need to remove manifold like it says on above link, lets hope not as i cant be bothere with doing that

Ive ordered some competition mounts from MX5parts and hope to fit them this weekend.

Cheers
Ian

#10 ·
It's a really easy thing to do, just put a jack under the sump and undo one side at a time, it will pivot as you lift it and you can remove / replace the one you have undone... took me less than an hour to do both sides and that included a cup of coffee after the first one!

A garage might do it fairly cheaply, but why throw away money?

Russell.

#12 ·
OK done mine today, not to bad although i needed to remove the supercharger and manifold heatshield to get better access and so i could see better, could probably do it without removing now i know what im doing but its 10 minutes work to remove so no problem.

Hardest thing is the bottom bolt to block on both sides, with engine sat on mounts there is no straight access to get at them from wheel arch like other two, jacking engine up after undoing nut that hold mount to subframe allows better access though, also a wobble extension would be a help as its not far of you just a little more room.

As you can see on pic below of the nearside mount it was completely seperated and came off in 2 pieces!!....other side didnt look to bad but as the engine twists away from nearside mount its always going to get the hardest time i guess, im off out for a test drive shortly to see if it feels any different with these new race spec mounts in.....also hopefully supercharger pulley will be less inclined to bash into bonnet!

Cheers
Ian

#15 ·
Just jacked the front up and put it on axle stands so i could use jack for lifting engine off mounts etc, its not too bad a a job as long as you have the right tools, good long extension, a wobble extension would be nice, a 6 point 14mm socket and good long breaker bar for freeing off bolts as they are quite tight.

Been out for a drive and gear selection is improved also so far ive not had the charger hit the bonnet either, which is good

Cheers
Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.