Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been noticing a ticking noise had it for a while now but has git really bad lately, so I tried to hear what part of engine it could be but found that the cylinder at front of engine was leaking air through the spark plug. Anybody have any ideas on why it is doing it and how to fix? Also does anybody reakon this is linked to the tapping or is the tapping due to the valve lifters? How could I find it for definate? Getting little worried my 5 is dieing on me

Thanks

· Registered
2,047 Posts
Your spark plug may just be loose. If it's tight then the thread may be damaged. Can be repaired with a helicoil kit.
Are your lifters hydraulic or solid plus shims? Is the ticking only on start up or when cold?
If hydraulic (HLA's) then an engine flush on the next oil change will help or better still take them out and clean the properly.
If solid + shims then it may be oil starvation. Time or a top up or change. If it still persists it could be a blocked oil squirter or the shims are worn an need replacing.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your spark plug may just be loose. If it's tight then the thread may be damaged. Can be repaired with a helicoil kit.
Are your lifters hydraulic or solid plus shims? Is the ticking only on start up or when cold?
If hydraulic (HLA's) then an engine flush on the next oil change will help or better still take them out and clean the properly.
If solid + shims then it may be oil starvation. Time or a top up or change. If it still persists it could be a blocked oil squirter or the shims are worn an need replacing.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think its loose as changed em when I got the car couple of months ago and was fine then but will.be checking on the weekend. Prob dumb question but what is helicoil? I'm not sure what type they are I have a 98 mk2 if you know which type they have? I tink its hydraic but not too sure. It also does it all the time some times worse than other times but makes no difference if engine hot or cold. Also I recently did engine flush because changed oil to the Mobil 1 0w40 as heard a lot of good things bout it and thought would quiten it down but I swear it has been worse since.
Thanks for the help

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
MK2's have solid shims rather than HLA's.

If you've passed 60k miles they should be checked and re-gapped (and that requires buying shims of the correct thickness), as a part of the major service schedule.

A Helicoil allows you to repair a destroyed thread, that said I'd be surprised if the spark plug is indeed 'leaking air'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.