Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I found a mega cheap smart car the other day in need of an engine.

Does anyone have any experience in changing an engine in these for a bike engine or an Mr2 engine (Ive heard they fit)

Im mainly looking for advice on what would be required in order for the engine to fit so:
Engine mounts
Do the hubs need changing?
Does the entire wiring loom need replacing etc?

Any help much appreciated

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Christ making one of them things fast would scare this livings out of me.... I'm pretty sure they do not handle well and like to fall over when pushed, would need some serious work on the corners to counter that issue.

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Used to love my old one. Surprised a lot of people although it had a lot done to it. Was chipped and lowered etc and would happily sit at 95mph bouncing off the limiter ( on a private road of course). Used to chase hot hatches down the country roads too and more often than not got held up by them!

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would deffinitely need some coilies, maby polybush and stiffer antiroll bar with some tiny but wide wheels.

I can manage all that its just the wiring looms is the bit i know nothing about and as with any new conversion the engine mounts.

· Registered
107 Posts
Smart Diablo... that's an awesome video...

I'd guess that nailing things in a straight line would be it's forte. I wouldn't want to push one around the corners given the combination of height, wheelbase and track width- even if you fitted a wider set of wheels on spacers.

I'm more tempted to do a bike powered Smart Roadster if I get rid of the Westy this year.

In terms of stuff to do a swap, you can use the original car loom to power the usuals: headlights, wipers etc. As I quite like doing automotive electrics (I'm overweight and wear glasses, so stereotypically I'm perfect, skill wise, not so) I'd bin the car's loom and do your own, running the bike engine on it's own loom. I've done that with the Westy and it means if the engine ever goes bang I don't need to spend hours splicing everything out to do a swap...

You'll need to fabricate a set of custom engine mounts at a minimum I'd have said... Your better option is fabricate a new rear subframe that carries the engine, suspension and drive train, then swap 'em over. Oh yeah, I'd also recommend a better airbox and a decent set of vents/ducting to channel some air into the thing...

It's by no way a definitive list, but it's what immediately springs to mind...

ZB.

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zapp (Awesome name btw
) I did find a company selling a custom subframe for a suzuki bike engine but its £2500 for the frame alone!!

Im not much of a fabricator either so making one is out of my league, its kind of why I fance having a go at the MR2 conversion as it should just require custom engine mounts if im right in thinking.

· Registered
343 Posts
My mates old Smart hill climber was a 2L MR2 engine super charged beastie in its last incarnation, now sadly sold on for the next project. The thing would wheely of the start line, got a video of that somewhere.

One thing I do recall when fabricating the shortened drive shafts the original Smart drive shaft fitted very snuggly inside the MR2 shaft.

Pics:
http://s312.beta.pho...rary/Jims Smart

Some more info here...

http://www.thesmartr.../hillclimb.html

· Mine's a Beer
1,677 Posts
In terms of stuff to do a swap, you can use the original car loom to power the usuals: headlights, wipers etc. As I quite like doing automotive electrics (I'm overweight and wear glasses, so stereotypically I'm perfect, skill wise, not so) I'd bin the car's loom and do your own, running the bike engine on it's own loom. I've done that with the Westy and it means if the engine ever goes bang I don't need to spend hours splicing everything out to do a swap...

these are really complex little cars when it comes to electrics as with all modern cars just everything seems to linked to the ECU

ZB.

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mates old Smart hill climber was a 2L MR2 engine super charged beastie in its last incarnation, now sadly sold on for the next project. The thing would wheely of the start line, got a video of that somewhere.

One thing I do recall when fabricating the shortened drive shafts the original Smart drive shaft fitted very snuggly inside the MR2 shaft.

Pics:
http://s312.beta.pho...rary/Jims Smart

Some more info here...

http://www.thesmartr.../hillclimb.html
Ive seen pics of this one before, it looks epic!! Im not planning to go as far as this really i just want a standard looking sleeper kind of car. Still good for road use but with the power to have a little blip down the duals every now and again

· Registered
652 Posts
How much are they and would any other work have to be undertaken for it to fit?

I admire your enthusiasm but from the basic questions you're asking I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you probably don't have the right balance of ability/ambition to undertake such a project..

that's a T88 turbo, by the way...

· apologising from the heart of my bottom
5,795 Posts
I serviced one at work months ago.

Rear bumper off to change the second set of spark plugs?

Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
but it's not really a bumper though is it more of a flat bit of plastic

· was b0builder
6,487 Posts

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.