Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above - simple question.

In relation to my other topic, it looks increasingly like were gonna have to take one or the other out.

Bear in mind, it may be thge case that once the gearbox is out, we may have to pull the engine anyway.

So whats the difference in time/fannying about between removing the gearobx (as i've already done a few weeks ago to do the clutch) as compared to pulling the engine and gearbox out the top as one unit?

Draining coolant, disconnecting all the hoses/lines/looms/exhaust etc, I cant actually see it being that difficult to pull the engine?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
if your nimble, then box off is the way. Why do more? You wouldn't see a clutch center pull the engine out.

If you would rather do lots of bolts and get a crane than get your wrist at an odd angle then pull them together.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes - we're doing it on axle stands, and changing the clutch was a mother of a job a couple of weeks ago. Got a crane to borrow no bother.

Plus, as i say - it may be the case that once the gearbox is out ill be deciding the engine has to come out anyway.

as an aside - if I DO take the engine out - what else should I do at the same time? Car is a 94 on 160000kms. Replace engine mounts? anything else it makes sense to do?

Will obvously take the opportunity to clean up the engine bay and a lick of paint if required anywhere.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
sounds like you want to pull them together.

I have no problem getting boxs on and off. Just takes forward thinking. Getting the car the right height so your comphy with the box sat on your knee's. Or better, sat on a jack. If any part of the job looks like you might be getting in a position you cant hold for hours, then your doing it wrong. Its a precision job that people try to go at like animals. straining themselfs and smashing into things. trying to hold the box in one hand, and level the engine with the other. Its nuts. If everything is in the right place it just slips on.
The only time a say 'heave' is 11:30am each day. Its really not hard. It is tricky though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.