Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ariel used to go up and down fine, the motor was running ok, switch radio off, ariel goes down, switch it on, ariel goes up.

Switch it off, silence, no movement. balls.

What could the problem be? does it plug in to the back of the head unit - might it just have worked itself loose? Or another problem altogether?

Tempted to buy another head unit in anycase as its a bit rubbish, cd's skip at every opportunity, new speakers too (why not!)

Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
The plug with the antenna on it is part of the whole power and stuff block.

If the stereo is on the antenna should be on.

Tis most likely the antenna just... stopped? Or maybe just jammed, need a push?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radio still gets a signal so it still works, its just it wont go down! Motor isnt running at all, if it were stuck wouldnt the motor still be making noise trying to move it down?

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Which then leads us to the unfortunate conclusion that the antenna motor is fried

Sorry mate. Good time to "upgrade" to a bee-sting type antenna though

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
To clear up the slight confusion I may have caused by my lazy typing,

When I say the plug the antenna is on with the power, I mean the signal to the antenna motor for the antenna to go up/down.

So if the stereo is working then the motor is getting the correct signal to go up/down so that isn't your problem.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers bigfoot, i'll have a look at that later on.

Easier than changing an ariel im sure!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found that, but couldn't figure out how to unplug it (if thats the right expression!?)

Is it a case of the top popping open, or the whole black plastic thing coming out (though presumably not as its on the end of a dangly black wire & clipped in to a metal bracket...)

Where's my

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it did, just couldnt get it to do it, will try again tonight!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for lack of update.

No, still in same situation, havent popped off the bloody fuse cover yet! from the pic posted above, which way does it lift up from, or does most of the plastic thing unclip rather than just the top popping off to reveal fuses????

cant believe i'm snookered by a fuse cover

I used my time wisely and painted my cam cover lettering instead though...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i got the thing open, piece of piss! with a screwdriver as mine was stupidly impossible to unclip.

Anyhow.

Took the fuses out, swapped em round, tried the radio, same as before, radio gets perfect signal, no movement in ariel.

So im guessing its not the fuses after all!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Balls.

Well, at least you tried. If you don't want to shell our for a new one you could always get a stubby fixed one. Or I'm sure you could get an internal one and plug the hole.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, been to have MOT done today, along with cambelt & waterpump, the guy checked the ariel and confirmed it was, indeed, broken. (Correct Mr Hill!)

Not to worry, i might get a used one from somewhere, quite like the originality. But thats for another day.

On the up side, MOT passed with no advisories

1 - 19 of 19 Posts