Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Afternoon chaps and chapettes.

I thought i'd start a thread for this one as I haven't really done so for the previous 4 i've owned.

My previous three were these:-

Mk1 NA8C, now owned by Ste in a radically altered form (for some reason this one still sticks with me as being one of my favourites, albeit, one of the lowest powered). It's an entirely different animal these days thanks to Ste being one of the most pedantic people in the history of the world

Mk2 'VS' Roadster Import, HKS T25G Turbo Kit

Mk2 'S' MX5, UK, Mildly modded

Prior to getting into MX5's, I went through a few other jap vehicles, which included:-

After recently selling my gold mk2 to a lovely chap on here, i was after something a bit more suited to track work, as i dont really need the car to be pretty/clean etc. The gold one was pretty damn clean for what it was, one of the nicest condition UK mk2's I had the pleasure of seeing. My new one is not destined to be a daily driver so I didnt mind getting something a bit grotty, providing it had potential, or some decent parts.

I did not want another turbo'd car as I found this a bit twitchy for track work and was just something else to worry about (be it oil leak/starvation, gaskets, clutch, heat issues or good old fashions lively rear ends), so decided I did definitely want to stay n/a. As the mk2.5 seems to be the best of the bunch in that respect, this is what I was aiming for. Either that, or a mk2 RS/VS of some sort, as I always will have a soft spot for them.

I ended up finding a mk2.5 about 2hours away. It had a set of Gaz coilovers, new brakes, new cam belt and some other bits and bobs. I was just after something that was mechanically sound, and didnt mind bodywork issues, providing it wasnt COMPLETELY rotted - even if it was, I am not afraid to break cars so wanted a bit of buffer in the price to allow for this.

The car I went to view was quite ropey cosmetically. The underside of the front arches are corroded (surface - its almost like a brown rash, very strange) and the same on the rear sills. There doesn't appear to be much/any bubbling from the inside however, and the drain holes appeared clear. I havent yet checked the sill drain holes but I will once I find something small enough to get in there (any suggestions?).

The car had some tax and some mot, enough to get me by for the meantime. Having agreed a sensible price (considering condition) and getting it home, I have looked underneath and it appears in fairly good condition. The sills look good as do the chassis rails, the corrosion does appear to be purely cosmetic which doesn't really bother me. I 'may' get this sorted if I see some wings for sale or decide to do more about it, but for the time being, I dont care.

The car came as follows:-

Decent parts on the car were as follows:-
  • Gaz Coilovers
  • Rota Circuit 10 wheels with T1R tyres (both nearly new) - For Sale
  • Twin exit exhaust (believe to be custom)
  • DVD Touchscreen head-unit - For Sale
  • Random generic mesh air filter, with a bodged 'heat-shield'
I will be keeping the coilovers, but I will likely be removing everything else as they arent really necessary. I want a single exit exhaust as im not personally a fan of twins (have ended up with two!).

I've gone through the car and need to sort a few things, the following are my upcoming jobs to do before a track day or DWYB day in the next few months:-
  • Replace Clutch (known to be on the way out when buying it, negotiated into cost). Hopefully will get this done locally as i've been quoted £245 supplied and fitted, which seems reasonable (2mins down the road).
  • Source some clips/fasteners for the front bumper, as there are many missing. Same with the arch liners. It's got a scuff on the bumper and the clips are all now needed. (if anyone knows of a source for these it would be greatly appreciated).
Initial Changes/Parts Fitted
My aim for the car is to make it a decent fast road/track car, nothing fancy, just reliable and decent. I am VERY impressed with the mk2.5 engine, it is noticably more revvy than the other 1.8 engined mazdas i've owned, and is far more enjoyable to drive even at lower revs. It should prove to be a good base to start with. The bodywork is by no means clean, with a minor dent/scuff on almost every panel, but thats not what its for.

I have done the following since getting the car home and having some time to work on it:-
  • Cusco Front Strut Brace - This fouls the washer bottle (a washer bag will be sourced - these are £8 from ebay, so no big drama) and I will need to source a threaded washer to utilise the Brake Master Cylinder Stopper aspect of the bar. I did actually have the full BMCS bracket but as the mk2.5 master cylinder is about 3 times the size of the mk1 (the bar is from a mk1), the bracket is surplus to requirements. A simple bolt is necessary to create a master cylinder stopper, as the drilled hole in the bar is located perfectly.
  • Carbing Aluminium Radiator Cooling Panel - This was left over from my previous cars. fitted perfectly. needs a clean but trial fitted for now and should be a great addition. weighs nearly nothing so no harm done there.
Pics of these two fitted:-

Pics indicating the ease in which a BMCS can be adapted with a threaded washer or press in fitting to the available hole in the brace:-

Intake Ideas
I am not a fan of having the filter sat above the exhaust manifold. the stock heatshield/manifold is in situ, so it's not as bad as say, having everything exposed, and the original heatshield panel thing for the OEM airbox has been bodged in such a way that it acts as a ghetto shield for the cone filter. I had some flexible silicone ducting (70mm, so ideal) laying about so thought I would try to experiment to come up with something a little more suitable. That being, getting the filter further forward and away from the warm manifold.

I haven't trimmed anything down yet so it's literally a 1m length of hose thats been wriggled around to fit where I want it, but this is what I have come up with so far:-

As mentioned, it's in no way finished yet and was just me experimenting, but the filter does sit snug in there and with some trimming of the flexi hose and some creatively positioned cable ties, I should be able to come up with a workable solution. The hose is collapsable so I may not even need to trim it - this remains to be seen. I have an ARC induction chamber on the way that will be fitted and the intake hosing tidied up/trimmed to suit. I will likely be combining this with some thermal reflective wrap to try and minimise heat transfer into the intake.

I've also thrown on a spare set of wheels I had in the garage (Rays / Volk splits). They are 16's with staggered tyres, which are very good condition T1R's. they are just my spares, I appreciate the offset is terrible. They have also been resprayed by Stevie Wonder, on crack, whilst wanking. However, they are round/straight/true, balanced and with good tyres, so they'll do for now. Shit pic but i'll get some better ones when I can:-

Obligatory suspension pic - need to clean them up but i wiped them quickly with a cloth and all the threads seem clean, the locking rings appear clean and unseized with no visible damage from being set before, so once I have the time to remove and clean them up properly they should last me well (dark stain was where my cloth had some WD40 on it):-

I will update later with my future plans for the car (it needs to be lowered a little, first port of call, although not slammed as I hate that look). Need to crack on with some work now, but yeah, thats my introduction

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah, that you do Ste. I didnt put up the mk1 as i was in a rush. its funny how they're all still around.

It's crazy how easy they corrode mate, i was very surprised. the amount of 02/03 models i see driving around with massive plates welded to the sills is ridiculous. My gold one had a small bubble on the bottom of one of the sills but that was it. This one is mainly surface corrosion, which to be fair seems to be shit quality paint thats allowed stone chips to cause havoc. Im not really bothered as there are no big rust spots or bubbles etc, so it should last for some time. I 'may' replace the wings with similar coloured ones (dont mind a black/blue or something, providing its dark) if i can find some mk2.5 wings in good condition. the sills i can probably get rubbed down and sprays fairly cheaply, as im not sure if much welding is necessary. even if it is, providing it's solid i dont mind living with it.

the engine is why I got it (and the coilovers), the 1.8vvt motor really does feel so much nicer than the normal 1.8's. I cant put my finger on why, it just feels more eager.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You're right ecksjay the bronze/gold Mk2 I got from you is too good to be a dedicated track car, decided not to strip it out and will be as much for road as for the track.................so some 'style' over 'substance' happening.

Although I've had zero chance to really get under it (or the bonnet) yet still not stopped me stocking up on some bits and pieces - Puredrive coil overs, corbeau seats, roll bar (soon) from Vindi, oem front spoiler, old but fairly light & straight Borbett type C alloys for track use, 595 RSR tyres, front strut brace............anyway won't hijack this one and will start my own thread soon.

Good luck with the build and see you at Brands sooner than later!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
well it's like a bloody reunion in here. haha.

if you fancy giving me your seats and roll bar it would be much appreciated

Those will be my next port of call but i will do a full update to that extent when i get the chance.

fortunately as the mk2.5 does have a more aggressive front bumper as stock, I wont be needing a splitter unless one comes up silly cheap. i would like to get a smaller plate and move it, to clear the front dam air path, but even without a splitter the mk2.5 bumper really is far more aggressive than the mk2, which is nice. that being said, I've always loved the mk2 with the oem front splitter - if i do see one for this one I would defo consider it (mk2.5 specific ofcourse).

Myself and a friend will be booking Brands in early March if all goes well. I'm off skiing at the end of this month so cant really be bothered booking a track day too early in feb, but if one does come up near the end of the month I would consider it, providing my clutch is done by then.

Will defo see you at brands or something though, I would like to try Bedford in all honesty. I'll let you know what we do end up booking. Will be giving DYWB at pod a go too I reckon, as its cheap seat time - always fancied having a stab at it, as it would help with my.......enthusiastic car control.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Side plate mount TICK...along with set of tow hooks from JASS on here - both top notch! Since I decided not togo all outtrack cash has jumped out of my pocket at a fair rate and not started on engine.....oops hijacking again!

Brands March - TICK - just sorting out dates with the Mrs & work so see ya there or elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hijacking is more than welcome mate, i enjoyed that car so by all means add it in here. might as well! be nice to keep track of it.

i might have to look into a set of tow hooks yeah. removing the OEM ones is a pain in the ass though from memory, so i'll have a think about how im gonna do that. I dont have much in the way of working space in my current lockup but i am buying a house later in the year, hopefully with a monstrous garage, which will hopefully enable me to do all of the stuff I have in mind.

going to settle for the basics at the moment though. providing it's reliable I dont give a crap

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eunosverse, it was just some i had left over so thought I'd try it. not sure how effective it'll be but if i trim it back then I can't see why it wouldn't be better than being sat over the manifold, even with the added length

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right, will likely be doing a big update over the weekend, depending on what I actually get round to fitting.

Have the following bits to fit or to review over the next few weeks:
  • ARC Intake Chamber (specifically for mk2) - I've done the turbo thing so want to get the best out of the engine n/a as I can. Was cheap, so not really a major issue if I dont get on with it.
  • Omori Oil / Water Temp Gauges - Probably wont get round to fitting these soon, will save it for the next oil/coolant change
  • JASS Number Plate Relocation Bracket - Will trial this with the OEM plate, will be ordering some JDM plates as they're pretty cheap (circa £18 a pair) and look SO much better, especially the rear ones. The car doesn't actually have the original plinth so hopefully there wont be too many holes to fill etc (not that I would actually care
    )
  • Fit OEM exhaust - I'm not a massive fan of the twin exit so this will be removed and offered up for sale until I find something else I like. Managed to find an OEM type exhaust in good condition for very cheap
  • Fit new aerial base and stubby aerial - Managed to pick up a VW aerial base for a few quid (new) and plain black stubby aerial, so going to try and fit this on in replacement of the ridiculous 2metre long thing thats on there at present. Should look far better, again a cheap upgrade.
  • Lower the car on the Gaz coilovers - again, not sure if i'll actually get round to this as the current ride height is fine, will want it lower if I fit some of my dishy wheels however. Not sure how/if the locking rings on the coilovers would be seized anyway so might programme in a weekend to remove, strip them down and grease them up etc.

Other than that, I just need to get the clutch sorted and book a track day. Have some more wheels coming for spares and desperately need to track down a bucket seat and a roll bar (hint hint wink).

Will update with plenty of pics etc over the weekend, depending on how far I get.

·
Welshy!
1,746 Posts
Thats the lip I got for my 2.5 front end, I managed to get it mx5 parts had it on offer though. Good quality lip!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't need a new one at all, happy to have a used one thats like, in half or something. Long as its cheap. Only one i like the look of really, but only as it looks like the normal mk2 lip.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
just some pics for now, nothing major but got most bits fitted (although the aerial isnt connected yet - need to find an adaptor that'll link the cables up):

Filter just thrown in for now. Have sourced an OEM airbox which im going to use and modify in conjunction with the ARC chamber, as its not stable enough with just a cone filter. It works but has quite a bit of play obviously.

Need to order my plates but I got the Jass bracket on, easy enough, just needs to be adjusted/bent slightly to sit level. I've seen that many people have this issue also, so im not concerned. Will order plates when I've sold some other bits, fine with it sitting there for now.

Stubby bee-sting aerial to replace the 17ft thing on there before. Fit fine, i may need to include a larger rubber o-ring for the top in case there's any problems with it sealing but we'll find out when it rains if this is the case. It 'seems' fine and fit well, but if it doesn't then it'll be an easy fix. If not an o-ring then i'll get the sealant out. Also need an adaptor for the cable as mentioned above, I have no idea what it actually is but it's off a VW so may be a 'FAKRA' connection or some shit.

Lastly, i've bought a new exhaust to replace the twin-pipe exhaust currently on the car. Got this from a guy on DW, which i believe is either an mx5parts or a japspeed or something. I prefer the look to the twin box so will sell that one on. This is a pic of the car it came from, I have yet to install it. I also have a new condition OEM exhaust which I will keep as a spare, as it's immaculate.

Also managed to get a few other parts from him, which include:-

- Frankenstein bolts and deck plates
- Hard top side latches
- Washer bottle (non ABS model, it's smaller and the existing one conflicts with the strut bar, so i'm going to use the non-abs one and some cable ties - if that doesn't suit then i'll probably get one of those washer bags, as they're only 8quid)
- OEM Airbox and intake pipework setup - I want to trial this with some mods rather than the open cone filter, as im not a fan of heat soak etc, with or without the ARC chamber
- Interior clock and cubby hole
- Glovebox (mine is cracked)
- Stereo separation bar (for single din units) - Mine doesnt have one, as it uses a double din head unit. These bars are like 25quid from mx5parts so im chuffed i managed to find one.

Managed to get that lot plus the exhaust for a good price, if I bought it all separately from ebay etc it would have taken me ages plus loads of separate parcels and hassle, and would have cost a fair bit more (£200+ most likely). Now I can fit my obtuse gold/bronze hard top so I can clear the garage up a bit

Will update further once i've fitted everything. Have some idea about the intake setup (airbox mods etc), on my old S14a i ended up removing a large section of the airbox to the same effect as achieved when people drill the airbox. I have plenty of the flexible ducting so im sure I can come up with some sort of creative (but effective) intake system, whilst minimising heat soak.

still havent found a roll bar so i may just sort the clutch out and book a track day in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not really done a great deal to this, mainly been collecting parts.

Should have some new bits on the weekend, including a TRL Roll bar and harness bar.

Have bought a bride driver's side seat frame, a new radio (to give me some aux in goodness), but i have yet to connect the aerial yet so it'll be mp3's only for the time being.

Will likely be fitting some new wheels very soon, getting the exhaust changed and then sorting the clutch so i can book a track day. Will get some pics uploaded of the parts fitted in due course. Have a good choice of wheels now so will see what works well with the colour combination of green and rust

I've also sold the ARC intake chamber as it wasn't really much use to me, it sounded lovely but it was too pretty for my purposes. I've replaced it with a stock crossover pipe and airbox that I sourced from a breaker, which performs fine

·
Welshy!
1,746 Posts
He's enough of an attention whore, we dont wanna satisfy his ego

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tru dat.

saying that though, i dont recall the last time I ever actually cleaned a car, much to my girlfriend's dismay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.