Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just thought i'd post up a quick little write up and review.

Since i got my v-spec about 3 weeks ago, the door speakers had been doing my head in, no bass response at all. I whipped off my door cards to see what was in there and found to my surprise that there were sony explod's fitted, not some knackered original fit ones. they were only held on with 2 screws and the door metal seemed super thin so i thought i'd try and sort it out.

I had some dynamatt i bought a while back for a previous car and never fitted it due to losing interest. (the pack with 2 sheets about a foot square.)

1) removed the passenger side door card and took the speaker out and cleaned up the surrounding metal as per the instructions.

2) cut the sheets so that they'd fit covering as much door area as possible without obstructing any door card fixing holes etc.

3) stuck the sheet on over the speaker hole and used the rounded end of a screwdriver to push it into all the creases and depressions and ensure it was stuck on good and proper.

4) Once stuck on I pushed scissors through the centre of the sheet covering the speaker hole and cut it back to within about an inch of the edge. i then cut slits to the edge of the metal and folded the inch long tabs back into the door and made sure they stuck well on the inside.

5) I popped the speaker back in and screwed in the two screws that it was attached with before. Due to the screw holes on the speaker not matching the standard mounting points i used a self tapping screw to secure the speaker properly.

6) pop the door card back on and repeat on the other door.

The verdict:

Before i did the above, i couldn't take my stereo up over about a fifth of max volume with no eq on, before the speakers started farting and sounding generally crap, with my top down driving at about 30 i could hardly hear it at all.

Now i've done the above, I can turn it up over half way with bass on about +4 (out of +/- 10) and it still sounds clear and sharp, bass response is infinitely better, (i can't quite believe the difference!) i can now drive at 60 with the roof down and it still sounds great!

So all i can say is, get it done! not expensive to do and only took me about 2 to 3 hours.

P.s. sorry i didn't take any pics, totally forgot! next time i do something i'll remember to get my camera out before hand!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
An excellent write up mate, but.....

(Sorry, it had to be done!
)

I thought Dynamat was supposed to go on the back of the door skin, not on the speaker hole? But nice one anyway, sounds like you are chuffed with the results

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I thought Dynamat was supposed to go on the back of the door skin, not on the speaker hole? But nice one anyway, sounds like you are chuffed with the results
The baffle plate should be neutral if possible.

Nice one, one to consider me thinks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An excellent write up mate, but.....

(Sorry, it had to be done!
)

Thanks, I totally forgot about taking pics till i was sitting listening to it feeling chuffed with myself!

I'm new to this lark, sorry, but i'll remember to take pics with the next job!

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to go where i put it, i'll try and get out and take some pics of how it looks post-op!

that is if it ever stops bloody raining. the joys of living by the lake district!

Just did a search and this is the stuff i used:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_speaker_kit.html

Works a treat!

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I envy you no end mate living near the lake district. We drive 500 miles to go to the lakes lol.

Good job on Dynamatting
it does really make that much of a difference it is shocking. Added mass = less vibrations

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeh it definitely does have it's plus points living up here, especially now i've got my 5 to bomb about in! just hope it's a good summer, instead of the usual rain we have! Really shouldn't complain tho.

It really does work a treat doesn't it. can't recommend it enough. removed my foglight wiring before hand so that should even out the weight gain too!

·
Landwomble
920 Posts
Hi, just thought i'd post up a quick little write up and review.

Since i got my v-spec about 3 weeks ago, the door speakers had been doing my head in, no bass response at all. I whipped off my door cards to see what was in there and found to my surprise that there were sony explod's fitted, not some knackered original fit ones. they were only held on with 2 screws and the door metal seemed super thin so i thought i'd try and sort it out.

I had some dynamatt i bought a while back for a previous car and never fitted it due to losing interest. (the pack with 2 sheets about a foot square.)

1) removed the passenger side door card and took the speaker out and cleaned up the surrounding metal as per the instructions.

2) cut the sheets so that they'd fit covering as much door area as possible without obstructing any door card fixing holes etc.

3) stuck the sheet on over the speaker hole and used the rounded end of a screwdriver to push it into all the creases and depressions and ensure it was stuck on good and proper.

4) Once stuck on I pushed scissors through the centre of the sheet covering the speaker hole and cut it back to within about an inch of the edge. i then cut slits to the edge of the metal and folded the inch long tabs back into the door and made sure they stuck well on the inside.

5) I popped the speaker back in and screwed in the two screws that it was attached with before. Due to the screw holes on the speaker not matching the standard mounting points i used a self tapping screw to secure the speaker properly.

6) pop the door card back on and repeat on the other door.

The verdict:

Before i did the above, i couldn't take my stereo up over about a fifth of max volume with no eq on, before the speakers started farting and sounding generally crap, with my top down driving at about 30 i could hardly hear it at all.

Now i've done the above, I can turn it up over half way with bass on about +4 (out of +/- 10) and it still sounds clear and sharp, bass response is infinitely better, (i can't quite believe the difference!) i can now drive at 60 with the roof down and it still sounds great!

So all i can say is, get it done! not expensive to do and only took me about 2 to 3 hours.

P.s. sorry i didn't take any pics, totally forgot! next time i do something i'll remember to get my camera out before hand!
it's a top mod. The "Brown Bread" stuff you can get on ebay is much cheaper and just as good though!
stick as much as you can behind speaker, double layers are fine, and all over the inside of the outer door skin, and make a gasket like you did for the speaker to sit on. makes an amazing difference, although wouldn't recommend doing it in sub zero temperatures without the aid of your mate's wife's hairdryer as I did the other month!

Also worth making a little hat for top of speakers to keep the water off them, it gets pretty wet in there.

·
Early Man
3,324 Posts
What do people recon to using roof flashing as a substitute for Dynamat? I've read before that it's a low cost alternative.
It worked fine for me, but then I've not tried Dynamat so can't draw a comparison. Flashing tape was best warmed with a gas torch to make it nice and sticky. You certainly get lots for your ?10 so extra layers is no problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
I used flashing to supplement the Dynamat. Basically used flashing all other the outer skin and then dynamat immediately behind the speakers and around the holes. The flashing as said is easier if you warm everything with a hot air gun. A tenners worth from Wickes was more than enough for both doors, plus the dynamat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts