Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a couple of films in their cellphone wrapper for a number of years and decided that I'd try one of them today. Fired up the surround sound, the DVD player and after 20 minutes the DVD player stopped blood working. It was a pretty good hd one when we got it but its not had a deal of use.

Need advise on what to do now. Would like a blue ray player to replace it as they also play DVDs. On a program the other day it compared blue rays and said there was no difference between a £60 pound one and a £350 pound one. My question is- is it worth buying a 3d enabled one for the future or will this be bypassed soon? I don't have a 3d tv but am looking to upgrade this at this time next year.

Only really looking for a cheap solution so I can watch the DVDs I've had for a number of years un opened, the film in question was inglorious bastards and it was looking pretty good in the first 20 mins. C e to think of it the last time I used the player it sounded ropey then.

· Registered
690 Posts
I have a 3D TV but have never watched anythign in 3D.. having said that there is not much difference in the price.. There is a little Sony job that is like 90 quid in Sainsburys and 3D compatible. The sony also has an ethernet connection so essentially makes your TV a smart TV.. kinda..

· Registered
10,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a dedicated av amp with separate speakers so shouldn't have any problems with my surround sound. Sounds like yours is a all in one Panasonic one. Is your current DVD player built into the sound system?

· The nutzer formerly known as Fenix
1,578 Posts
I've got the LG BP620 which is 3d and Smart-TV enabled via built in wi-fi. Think you can now get it for £70.

To be honest I'm not too fussed about 3d even though tv and blu-ray player supports it. However at that price may aswell have it in case someone manages to do something impressive with 3d.

9,037 Posts
Most bluray players freeze for a half second as they move between layers in the dvd so I went for a good quality dvd player - plus it was easier to multi region than most bluray players. Personally I think 3d is a gimmick and it gives me a headache but it's up to you. Bear in mind that if you do get a 3d player and tv, I understand you'll also need an amp that supports HDMI 1.4 but I might be wrong. You could still connect separately to the tv and amp tho I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.