Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Dual Throttle Necessary For Non Intercooled M45

359 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gav2612 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Getting all the bits together for a m45 build on my '97 1.8 track car
I already have larger 440cc injectors and a spare 1.6 tb ready to fit. ill get Megasquirt and the Trlane brackets and manifolds ordered after the turn of the year along with piping for the crossover

I was really just looking for a lowish boost set up to give around 170- 180 flywheel BHP so wasn't planning on intercooling it. Firstly what is everyones opinion on running on track with no intercooler on the std mini sc set up?

Secondly, I have now done a bit of reading regarding idle droop and lack of throttle response with the m45 and wondered whether I should be looking at a dual throttle body set up to aleviate this, or does it really just relate to intercooled versions? (id rather not have all the faffing about of syncing 2 TB's if I dont need to)

Happy new year when it arrives

Gavin

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks mr Slow,

With the exhaust temps in mind I may be better to look at an intercooler set up and dual tb's then. I was originally trying to keep things as cheap as possible, but looking for reliable power on the track.

The more advice I get I may be as well to bite the bullet spend a few more pounds and intercool it with a dual TB set up. With that in mind I may as well go the whole hog and get a reduction sc pulley and aim for a few more horses as well then! Not as cheap and cheerful as I first set out, but at least I can take all the SC bits off and move them to another Mx5 if or when I decide to change cars

What sort of ballpark power would a 1.8 m45 with intercooler, MS, high flow injectors and reduction pulley make? 190 or so flywheel bhp would make the extra £'s spent easier justified

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.