Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys

whats the rules on driving without a bonnet ?

reason need to pick up new bonnet and the only way i can do it is take my 5 so was gonna drive without to pick it up and fit when i get it

regards
chris

·
Registered
425 Posts
hi guys

whats the rules on driving without a bonnet ?

reason need to pick up new bonnet and the only way i can do it is take my 5 so was gonna drive without to pick it up and fit when i get it

regards
chris
guarentee'd puller. due to danger to a pedestrian if you hit them basically.

legal grey area and im yet to see any black and white proof on legality, but be prepared for a pull and a search/prod/poke as a minimum if your' seen by the fuzz

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
make one out of cardboard, cover it in carbon effect vinyl and gaffer tape it on for the drive down?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
make one out of cardboard, cover it in carbon effect vinyl and gaffer tape it on for the drive down?
Thats a classic idea and i would give it a go. Nice one
[/quote]

Cardboard + Hot engine + Hot exhaust manifold = Might result in a quick phone call to the Fire Service...

[/quote]

make vents

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Aside from potential damage to rouge pedestrians wandering into your path You are not allowed to have any exposed moving parts (exempt for the wheels presumably) so your belts and pulleys would fall fowl of this ridiculous rule.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
id just do it

if you get pulled tell them the previous one was there when you left and you cant think where it could have gone!

or strap it the roof of your mx somehow, the new one that is

·
Are YOU a Help Vampire?
6,177 Posts
I've got the same problem.

One of my ideas was to strap it to my bonnet, put some foam blocks on the bolts etc to stop scratching and strap it down well. Landrovers get away with having spare wheels on there.....

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
fake bonnet idea interests me. Perhaps 4mm ply. £5 but a couple of hours

edit: fibreglass?
cover yours in polythene. then matting and resin. Hopefully it will then lift away, and lead to a small prototypeing buisness lol

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
can i point out,open v8 engines on hot rods.....
open rear engines on vw beach buggys...

ive had this covered with my local old bill,traffic officers, and as long as moving parts have some sort of barrier,can even be just a bar, its ok. as the engine on the 5 would be shielded by fronty bumper and side wings, its not illegal. above access isnt foul of the rules. that said, not saying you wont get pulled and grief anyways..

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
dont you have a friend with a van that would do the trip for you for petrol money?
i have a van but guessing your trip would be miles out of my way lol.

maybe someone on here will be driving past the area's or somthing for a favour or small fee?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.