Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It makes me sooooooo angry (especially as my car is currently off the road with a fuel problem) when I see people driving perfectly good convertible cars, in the pretty damn decent weather we've got at the moment, with the flamin' roof up!

What are they thinking. Buy a coupe if you are phengophobic or getter better toupe glue, or something!

In one 15 minute drive yesterday, I saw 2 MX5s (shame on you, you know who you are!) an SLK and a stunning XKR with the roof up on an A road! Dropping the roof on some of those cars involves no more than extending one little pinky and pushing a button.

As a Chief Inspector in the International Roof Police, I will be lobbying Parliament, (when they's sorted out the small business of an election) to create a new law, whereby if you are caught with the roof up, when it is not raining and the temperature is above, oooooh, say 12 deg C, on 3 seperate occasions, your car is taken away, given to someone on a waiting list for convertible cars and you are forced to drive a 1996 1.6 Vectra, with no a/c for the next 12 months (God Awful car.)

Who's with me on this one?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im 100% with you on that one Rossi whilst at work yesterday i saw countless convertables with the roof up i was thinking are you mad, parts of yesterday i was reading 18 degrees so deff nice enough, offenders consisded of lots of audi tts, porsche 911 cab,boxster, several mx5's, ferrari 355 spider to name a few lol i was thinking let me take over ill have it down
lol

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
i always shout out from my van why spend all that money on a convertables and have the roof up..

what a waste..

michael

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
Guilty as charged

I would have agreed up to a Month ago when I had a new red mohair roof fitted - until then I'd be quite happy driving in both freezing conditions & pouring rain.............but the new roof looks so lovely

I have made inroads to balance this sad state of affairs by recently acquiring a red tonneau with help from Rik (KFC) to replace the mothballed black one - just as well coz the sound of the new SC is awesome.........now all is right with the world again

·
Mechanically Confused
2,142 Posts
Can I be fm operator in your new police force..? What's the pay like?

Either way, I agree...and have shared the same theory for years; even before I had my own rag-top!

·
Super Moderator
10,150 Posts
i went up to settle and surrounds yesterday but put the roof back up when we got back to the dual carriageways top side of skipton on the way home. i was starting to burn and while it was sunny, the recirculation draught was cold at 70.

have you never ever had your roof up when it could have been down? maybe you caught these people at one of those times.

judge not, lest ye be judged
tom

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
pah, having the roof down is over rated, sure its nice a couple of times a year but i didnt buy the car for the rooflessness, if they had done a coupe mk1 id prob have bought that cause the car looks so much better with a hardtop on so
to all of you!

·
Premium Member
18,089 Posts
You'll all hate me then. I drive up to Holmfirth yesterday with the hard top on
In my defence though the HT's are only on because we're clearing out the garage and we've not had anywhere to put them. They're coming off both cars today.

if you were the owner of the Mk1 in Glossop (Reg no. ending XMX) who returned my wave at the station.

Daz

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
have you never ever had your roof up when it could have been down?
Only to stop the whining from the passenger seat! And I'm considering putting a note in the rear window to the effect that "she makes me put the roof up".

[/quote]

gaffa tape for that sir.. either over the mouth to stop the noises or over your ears.. either way works a treat.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i went up to settle and surrounds yesterday but put the roof back up when we got back to the dual carriageways top side of skipton on the way home. i was starting to burn and while it was sunny, the recirculation draught was cold at 70.

have you never ever had your roof up when it could have been down? maybe you caught these people at one of those times.

judge not, lest ye be judged
tom
Mitigating circumstances for you there Tom!

Quote from the Top Down rule book:

'If a driver is making fair progress on a characterless dual carriageway or motorway, en route to or returning from a decent blat around the country roads, the driver is entitled to drive with the roof up, especially if the driver is a little thin on top and the sun is starting to make inroads into the scalp!
'

I owned an Elise for 2 years prior to my Eunos and I can honestly say I only drove it7 times (I counted) with the roof on. And that thing is a holy pain in the arse to remove the roof. I even drove it the 80 miles or so to Chris Neil's, in February with the roof off. Granted the wind protection is better because of the rear window affair. If I hadn't of done that I may as well have just bought an Exige!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I drove on the M1 yesterday with the roof up as I don't have a wind deflector and I always get BADLY burnt in the summer, even with suncream on
on the up side, I did put the roof down when it was snowing
mainly as I was following the example of a Morgan V8 owner who also had their roof down

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Hows about not being medically fit to drive and having a perfectly good drivable MX5 sat on the driveway and thus not being able to drive it? Roof up or roof down.

I'm more worried about when my foot is going to heal enough for the doctor to allow me to drive again (it's been 4 months) and also when my husband might be able to get home from Amsterdam if the damn Icelandic vocalno ever decides to stop erupting!!!

It might be a sin to drive with the roof up but being able to drive would be a start for me. Enjoy the sun everybody.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hows about not being medically fit to drive and having a perfectly good drivable MX5 sat on the driveway and thus not being able to drive it? Roof up or roof down.

I'm more worried about when my foot is going to heal enough for the doctor to allow me to drive again (it's been 4 months) and also when my husband might be able to get home from Amsterdam if the damn Icelandic vocalno ever decides to stop erupting!!!

It might be a sin to drive with the roof up but being able to drive would be a start for me. Enjoy the sun everybody.
BUGGER! Sorry about that matey! It's too easy sometimes to have a playful rant at something and forget that there are other people out there with genuine issues.

If I lived closer, I would take you out for a blast but I think North Wales to the South Coast is just a little tooooooo far.

Good luck with getting the other half back soon. My wife's supposed to go in for an operation tomorrow but the surgeon is stuck in Berlin! I work in the aviation industry (military side) and we haven't turned a wheel for days. I think the lads have almost worn out the Bbq!

Cheers

Rossi

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agreed. If people don't have a genuine reason like for instance Dinky does then why buy a convertible to have the roof up? I went oop north today, and kudos to them I saw several owners with the roof down - even on the M4/M5! But I do often wonder why the hell people buy these cars if they dont ever feel it's warm enough to have the roof down!
We're even sitting outside as I write this because it's so nice still!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.