Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Mr Miller :)
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keen to learn to drift my 5 as it is a sport that has interested me for a long time, ever since being little.

I was wondering if there are any events that may involves tutorials or something similar that I could go to, money is not really an issue but dont really want to have to do mega milage in order to find an event.

Any information would be great, or maybe 1 of you guys could show me a few things!

TIA
J

·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wicked, not far from me at all

Thanks will definately look into it!

J

·
Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....
2,868 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I see santa pod say £5 tyre change per rim - so guess people just bring 4 tyres pretty much worn and pay £20 to get them put onto the rims for the day and change them back to the original tyres end of the day?

Does that translate to a £10 charge per tyre or does the £5 charge per tyre cover the change to part worn and change back to originals ???

Cheers

·
2,868 Posts
haven't had to change tyres on the day yet, I killed one tyre last time but only noticed it when removing the wheels to go home again, only burned them down to canvas, not exploded!

I have a spare set of wheels I take, infact, I'm taking the 2 wheels and tyres that I used the first time round, as after all day playing in the pens I still had loads of meat on them.

I plan to use those again and also take a pair of old loose tyres just incase.

The first time I went I took the spare wheels that had tyres on them and 4 more tyres- which didn't get used at all! I was left with about 3mm of molten tread on the spare wheels, so I'll use them again this time. seems the pens aren't that harsh after all!

I'll have a jack and various tools, bringing a passenger this time so it's going to be hard cramming it all in, but the usual applies, a set of spare wheels/ tyres and boost the pressures up in the rear tyres, tyres on a 5er per wheel to change if you need to, and 2 quid to dispose of your old tyres for you.
he has some tyres there should you need them but bring as many spares as you can really, you don't want to drift your tyres your driving home on really unless its a last resort, It'll be cheaper to buy some spare wheels with crap tyres on just for drifting on, as you can use them again and again later on as opposed to swapping loads of tyres around on one pair of rims on the day.

can't wait
, I'm staying overnight in Wellingborough so if you want to meet up in the morning ( I got lost following my sat nav first time- some can't find the place so bring a map!)

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
IME a pair of tyres lasts ages (a few events in my case) on MX5s.

·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have to get myself booked on 1 of the santa pod days, although my drifting experience in very minimal, would be a good place to start I guess

·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Titch you used to be on 106owners? with a red s1 106
?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
haven't had to change tyres on the day yet, I killed one tyre last time but only noticed it when removing the wheels to go home again, only burned them down to canvas, not exploded!

I have a spare set of wheels I take, infact, I'm taking the 2 wheels and tyres that I used the first time round, as after all day playing in the pens I still had loads of meat on them.

I plan to use those again and also take a pair of old loose tyres just incase.

The first time I went I took the spare wheels that had tyres on them and 4 more tyres- which didn't get used at all! I was left with about 3mm of molten tread on the spare wheels, so I'll use them again this time. seems the pens aren't that harsh after all!

I'll have a jack and various tools, bringing a passenger this time so it's going to be hard cramming it all in, but the usual applies, a set of spare wheels/ tyres and boost the pressures up in the rear tyres, tyres on a 5er per wheel to change if you need to, and 2 quid to dispose of your old tyres for you.
he has some tyres there should you need them but bring as many spares as you can really, you don't want to drift your tyres your driving home on really unless its a last resort, It'll be cheaper to buy some spare wheels with crap tyres on just for drifting on, as you can use them again and again later on as opposed to swapping loads of tyres around on one pair of rims on the day.

can't wait
, I'm staying overnight in Wellingborough so if you want to meet up in the morning ( I got lost following my sat nav first time- some can't find the place so bring a map!)
Brill - that's a very good heads up, thank you.

I'm driving over from coventry, so will have a look at a map later and let you know if a meet in the morning would be sensible? Apprceiate the offer

·
2,868 Posts
Yeah you can keep them in the paddock;) remember to bring some snacks and water for you and your car should it need it.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.