Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, might be a dumb question but here goes......do I really need 2 sets of wheels/tyres, one for the road and one specfically for the track?

My 5 will be only really used at weekends through the spring/summer, possibly a trip to europe and def up to 6 track days. Cost as always is a consideration. Not done track days in my own car before so weight of wheels etc not really a consideration, be a bit before that is a factor!

For the track I've got a set of Federal 595 SS-Racing to go on 15" rims. First thought was some old but straight Borbett Type C I have. Not too heavy at 7kg each (no tyre), the right offset/width and if they get scratched, covered in brake dust or even break I am not bothered...they were cheap!

For the road got 16" Enkei Euphonic, in need of a refurb and new tyres. Don't particulalrly like them to be honest and at nearly £200 each on MXparts (yes expensive for wheels I know) thought they could raise funds for new wheels. More style orientated, maybe wider with a lower offset and road biased tyres.

Is it really down to the tyres rather than the wheels that most people have 2 sets for that reason?

Please save me from wasting money!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
A set of R rated tyres with decent wet performance ( 595 RS-R, Hankook RS2 ) will do for all conditions apart from the wettest ( and more pertinently coldest )

They won't last as long as 2 sets though....

·
The Small One!
884 Posts
Tyres make a hell of a difference, more so than the wheel..

Not really necessary to take two sets with you if it's a real problem, as long as you're sure of good/bad weather!

AFAIK, 14/15" wheels will serve you better on track and road than the 16" - so if you really don't like the 16" then free up some cash and buy some you do like!

·
Spinning around
3,553 Posts
I've previously had one of set of wheels for track days / road use and can recommend the Federal RSRs. I have now bought a 2nd set of wheels but only so I can choose between wet weather tyres and dry weather tyres without too much hassle. As long as the tyres you choose are road legal you don't need to have 2 sets of wheels.

·
Regularly Nutz
1,084 Posts
i dont track my car but most people have two sets due to having tyres that are not road legal.

or as you say one set would be nice "show wheels" and the others just light and cheap,

also so if you wear the tyres down but need your car the next day or even to drive home from the track you would use your road set.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Ive only ever had one set of wheels & tyres. I've now got the opportunity to have 2 sets of tyres and one set of wheels...

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you do go for a 2nd set of wheels and they are a different size, make sure that the rolling radius is the same otherwise it will effect your geometry.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
No,

I have 2 sets, winters (wintracs) & trackday/road (rsr).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't want to be taking a spare set of wheels to the track, what I drive there on is what I'll be going around on.....and hopefully coming home!

Have I got the code wrong on the tyres (or bought wrong ones!).....where I got them from called them SS-Racing - not RSR (195/50R15 load/speed rating 82W)

My thinking on 2 sets is still more about wearing the track tyres down (not cheap) and them not being much good cold or in the wet, which they will be stop/starting on the road and in our glorious temerate climate!

Titch - Thought about 2 sets of tyres but each time I want to change costs me at local fitters, plus ball ache of it!

G-Bob - Thought about geo and rolling radius being the same, cheers.

Mmmmm....still undecided!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Federal make SS595 and 595RS-R

the SS595 are a reasonable road tyre, but will be limited on track. The 595RS-R are a road legal track tyre.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I only have the one set but I will be using a good all-round tyre like the RS-R's, Kumho V70a's or similar.

Currently using normal road tyres and not particularly enjoying it!

·
Brake guru
1,893 Posts
I just had the one set on my mx5 road/track car, fit sensible rubber that works for both uses and no need to have another set of wheels, i like most ran the Federal 595rsr tyres which are great on road and track, the 595ss is a low budget road tyre so wont give much grip on track, will drift well though if thats your thing

Also carring a spare set of 4 wheels in an mx5 is a challenge!

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
393 Posts
The main reason I have a set for track is that they can be used well past legal tread limits on track and then swap them back to the daily ones..

Also track tyres last longer when used just on track as do normal road tyres when just used on the road...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i bought a set of light weight alloys, with part worn R888's on for less than £200. turned out that my daisy's were just as light!
if you wanted a set of track wheels, i'd go for daisy's, as they are really cheap & light.
the R888 are surprisingly good in the wet, as well, if you can keep some heat in them. when i went to a trackday, i removed my passenger seat (less weight
) which allowed me to easily & safely store 2 wheels there, and i got 2 in the boot, i think, with my trolley jack.
when going n a trackday, you need to take into consideration, that if you pick up a puncture, that may be the end of your day, and with trackdays costing a lot, you could just put your road tyres back on for a few more laps or just get home safely.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am not a serious track dayer (only do about 5 or 6 a year) and a trip to ring if possible but I don't bother with special track tracks or separate wheels. I view track days as a chance to really get to know my mx5 and push it to its limits, as I find the limit of grip the most fun part, improve the grip too much and the mx5 just feels slow.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lots of varying ideas/opinions and cost and practicality will rule in the end.............still don't know which way to go though!!!!

Posted this on another but giving back for the advice.............

Best price I have found for the RSR in 195/50/R15 is £59 + VAT per tyre from BMTR (£307 all in for 4 delivered)- they have a good stock (and various sizes inc 205/50/R15) plus really nice to deal with.

Carriage is £20 + VAT for a set of 4 - contact Peter on 0121 331 1122 (in race dept - there is only him!)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Changes the scrub radius.

Different rolling radius changes distance between centre of the tyre contact patch and the point where the upper and lower outer wishbone pivot points intersect the ground.

Increased scrub radius adversely affects front end turn-in, and increases steering efforts.

Might induce more understeer too, but can't quite work it out in my fuddled brain at the moment.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.