Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above really,
I would really like to put my girlfriend on my car insurence when it comes to renewal. Shes just tried putting me onto her insurence and they want another 200 pounds on top of what she already pays. I don't really understand it as I have 5 years no claims she has 3 Im slightly older and have had longer driving experience. Surley the difference can't be because im male can it? I expected to pay more but 200 seems like a lot.

We are both insured fully comp but are not insured to drive any other cars other than our own. My mum, auntie and many other older drivers, are able to drive any car with the owners permision third party. Is the reason for me and the missus not being able to do this because we are both under 25? I am 23 and she is 22.

I have 5 years no claims with no accidents.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
As above.

When I was 17 most fully comp policys included TP on any other INSURED car.

I used it to drive my dads many vehicles.

But it was at the insurers discretion - if you asked for it, it would generally be excluded.

I recent times due to all the fraudulent usage of these policys it is getting rarer particularly for the young.

Eg insure an 850cc mini fully comp in your name and then drive "your dad's" jap nutter turbo 365 days a yr.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My last 2 insurers didn't include this but my current one now does.

I'm 22 and I'm fully comp, can drive other insured cars third party. I got my current insurance through Adrian flux.
Give them a call when your renewal is due!

Joshua.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I thought age might have been an issue. I will be trying a couple of new insurance companies out as I will be hopefully modifying the car more than I have. Tesco are ok for bog standard cars but Im sure I could find cheaper when it comes to insuring modified cars. As I already have the insurance with tesco I have just paid the additional premiums for mods. Having said that, they havnt been too bad. 10 for my RB exhaust. Nothing for my pannel filter. 35 for the suspension.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Mine does and I'm not 25 until June. I'm through flux but with equity red star and on this particular scheme it is anyone over 23.

Few simple rules for driving other cars extension:

cannot work in the motor trade
should only be for emergency use only - but define that!
Wording normally states any other privately owned and insured motor car. Doesn't normally cover company cars or commercial vehicles.

Mark is bang on, alot of young drivers used to buy a shitter and get driving other cars on there dads twin turbo supra and drive it through mrs robinsons porch. Quinn were one of the best for this as they did it for anyone over 21.....but Quinn have now ceased trading.

Daz

Insurancefactory.com

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine does too, i'm with HIC. I have had this since i was 19 and im now 22

·
The Shoguns decapitator
11,892 Posts
if you are in the motor trade and on a private policy they will usually exclude this

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definatly be calling flux up when renewal comes. I have always been under the impression that they allow for modification but are more expensive to start with, maybe this is not true. I will still try them. Would it be worth getting a quote from somewhere else and asking them to match it or better it or try flux first then get others to better it?

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
I will definatly be calling flux up when renewal comes. I have always been under the impression that they allow for modification but are more expensive to start with, maybe this is not true. I will still try them. Would it be worth getting a quote from somewhere else and asking them to match it or better it or try flux first then get others to better it?
I've just paid less insurance premium for my now turbo'ed car than I paid last year with flux on an NA car
with richard egger insurance, might be worth trying them out.

A friend of mine certainly has third party on any other insured car as he looks after mine when I go off skiing for a month each year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
when i was 20 i asked my insurer if i was able to drive others they said no not until your 21...ive since changed insurers, now i'm back with that same company ( worked out cheaper) and now i still cant drive other cars because it has changed to 25
bummer....im only 21 aswell

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
And don't fall into the common trap of thinking you can drive any car 3rd party - it has to be insured by someone else.

Seen that one sooooo many times at Court.

Pat...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My last 2 insurers didn't include this but my current one now does.

I'm 22 and I'm fully comp, can drive other insured cars third party. I got my current insurance through Adrian flux.
Give them a call when your renewal is due!

Joshua.
I've just changed from Flux and will change the other 2 cars when due unless they can compete.

I gave them 3 chances to compete (Like for Like) on price. And whilst they moved a little on their renwal price it was still 25% higher than the company I went with.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Surley the difference can't be because im male can it?
No. yes maybe. Not at all. Men a far better drivers, but they just drive further so have more accidents (less per mile)

When I was much younger (about 28 IIRC - some 15 years ago) I asked my insurance company how much it was save to remove my wife from my policy. They suggested ?70 MORE ! So later I asked how much to remove me from the wife's policy and her company said ?70 less without me. We didn't bother removing me as whilst I could have driven it on my policy third party only, it was the more expensive of the 2 cars we owned.

I also recently found out that TPFT would cost more than fully comp. Anyone explain that ?

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I have heard there is more of a push for insurance companiies to give people the extra cover. Something to do with the government but I may be wrong. I think its also a way of getting sheds off the road. When a shed crashes it won't be worth as much so they will then write it off. Only something I have heard I might be completly wrong so dont quote me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Surley the difference can't be because im male can it?
No. yes maybe. Not at all. Men a far better drivers, but they just drive further so have more accidents (less per mile)

When I was much younger (about 28 IIRC - some 15 years ago) I asked my insurance company how much it was save to remove my wife from my policy. They suggested £70 MORE ! So later I asked how much to remove me from the wife's policy and her company said £70 less without me. We didn't bother removing me as whilst I could have driven it on my policy third party only, it was the more expensive of the 2 cars we owned.

I also recently found out that TPFT would cost more than fully comp. Anyone explain that ?
[/quote]

Some insurers will just price risks that they don't want at a substancially inflated cost as they don't really want the risk, hence quite often comp is cheaper than TPFT with the same insurer. Personally, I feel that it would make more sense if the insurer just declined or at least referred the risk rather than try to price themselves out of the market, but what do I know - I've only been in the industry for 20 years! - some insurers do take this line (to decline what they don't really target), NIG have recently taken this stance.

Re why TPF&T is not generally liked by insurers is indeed down to bad fraudulent claims experience e.g. young lad goes out & buys a hot hatch for £5k funded by a personal loan. The guy can then only afford TFP&T (assuming that TPF&T is actually cheaper for this hyperthetical scenario). Young lad then goes out one night & wraps his pride & joy round a lamp post with no witnesses. It might then be tempting for the guy to do a runner back home & report the car stolen in order that he can claim the 'theft' costs back to buy a new car. Otherwise he'd be paying off a personal loan for the next 3/4/5 years with no car to show for it...

The above scenario can & does happen & if the insurer is unable to prove that the claim is fraudulent even if they suspect it is then obviously they lose out.

Like any business, insurance prices are driven by a combination of that particular insurers experience with that kind of risk combined with what the rest of the market is doing in terms of rate increases/decreases in order that they can position themselves where they want to be overall in terms of market share.

Insurance pricing can appear to make no sense at all but I can assure you that a huge amount of resource is thrown at continually analysing data & reacting accordingly. Aviva once flew planes across the UK taking pictures of the streets & then gave the pics to their acturies to map the postcodes + their historical data to in order to rate very specifically down to individual house. I demonstrated the effectiveness of this when I got a quote for household ins at the time - I found that my side of the street was more expensive then the other side of the street & when I enquired as to why it transpired that it was a percieved higher theft risk my side of the street as we backed onto a field...

·
Registered
808 Posts
i've just changed from Flux and will change the other 2 cars when due unless they can compete.

I gave them 3 chances to compete (Like for Like) on price. And whilst they moved a little on their renwal price it was still 25% higher than the company I went with.
Who are you insured with now zero?? I found flux to be cheapest I found so far, be interesting when renewal comes up!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i've just changed from Flux and will change the other 2 cars when due unless they can compete.

Who are you insured with now zero?? I found flux to be cheapest I found so far, be interesting when renewal comes up!!

[/quote]

Given that my car is a standard 1.6 75 BHP mk3 astra with dents, worth about ?500 on a very good day and I'm 43 and my wife is 43 and the car has no modifications. I JUST went with the cheapest on goConfusedthemeerkatdirectinsurance.com. 1st Central is the company. Flux eventually found a like for like quote at ?250 but I went for the one at ?206.

Mainly because I was so incenced at the responce when I rang up first time and said "You've put the price up, my accident of 6 years ago are no longer an issue, so I KNOW i can get it at least ?80 cheaper. So before I gocompare, what is your best offer?" and they said "That's the best price we can do."

Which was a lie, because having got 20 quotes cheaper, and told them the lowest, they found they could do it cheaper. If they'd quoted the renewal at ?250 in the first place I'd have been happy to not bother changing companies. Not that it was a bother.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts