Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,170 Posts
For the detailers & paint restorers among you, I need some advice on the best way to bring up faded red paint work on a fibreglass bodied car - As in areas it seems to have begun to haze into a slight pink. Is there anyway to bring the redness out of it, I'm not so experienced in this field. I know if it was an MX5 it'd be a case of t-cut and alot of good polishes... However in this case, I'm hesitant, as I don't want to damage the lacquer.

Any way some advice there would be ideal.

As you can see with direct light the headlight is a slight pink, and the inside engine bay is a noticeable Red.

Also secondly, in various places Lacquer has begun to come off, is there anyway to repair Lacquer to a good standard (as a home remedy?) or most probably a garage remedy?

In all cases, as you can tell I'd really not want to get the car completely resprayed - as this is the very worst scenario. Quite simply the complete bottom half of the vehicle is perfect, and it would be a shame to have to get this done.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Try poishing by hand with a light cutting polish such as Autoglyms paint renovator that should bring it up back to red

Unfortunatley there is only one cure for the peeling clearcoat, repaint i'm afraid, not what you wanted to hear but its the only long term cure

· Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to try another cutting polish out. I've not got very high hopes in that it will sort of bring it back to life again, it just seems the effects would be far better on standard metal paint as oppose to fibreglass bodywork.

I was hoping for even a short term solution as regards the lacquer, just so that I could see it through.

· Mr Miller :)
626 Posts
I guess you could try wetsand the laquer peel then polish and wax over the top of it, although this may not cause the problem it could potentially mask it for a reasonable period of time

J

· Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts
The faded paint will without doubt come back to life, like IMX5 said above you could always wet sand as well but I do not know how confident you are about doing it, and no insult to you but if you had t ask the question in the first place, that is why I did not suggest it.
But a bit of time with G3 and the paint will shine like nearly new

· Registered
1,725 Posts
You'll struggle to bring it back from pink to red. The issue being that it's the red base coat under the lacquer that is losing it's colour. Polishing, or even wet sanding is only going to improve the lacquer, not the faded red base.

Unfortunatly a respray is the only real solution for both your faded paint and flaking lacquer.

626 Posts
Wet sanding the paint to an extent would more than likely revive the paint but, there is a very fine line with japanese paint, as they are usually quite soft (hence why they polish up so well) then you could very easily sand through the paint and into the primer, leaving you right up poo street!

Do as you feel confident, I, personally, would try the least "harsh" method first, such as polishing/cutting compound and then move up, maybe something harsher, then maybe light sanding. whatever you feel confident with

Any q's just give me a shout, I used to be a detailer for a living a while back!

J

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate all the info and have taken on board the wet sanding the lacquer and then redoing it in places. For the record, I'd have a body shop / pro do it, as this isn't my area of expertise at all.

However as for the paint sides of things with pink to red, I've dealt with faded red paint before, and I've been able to use cutting compounds like t-cut to get it back to a bright red before. However with this, Its hard to describe, (I don't think faded is the right term) but It seems this is a little bit different than faded mx5 paints with it being fibreglass, it just seems a colour restorer / cutting compound wouldn't do the job, as Dale1uk has said it seems the colour has just died out slowly and is just a little too far gone. I mean I'll purchase the above stuff to give it a try (it'll definitely get used for other stuff eventually) but I've used a high quality auto-glym polish before and it just didn't have the same effect.

I'll give it a good go come weekend.

J, I'll keep that in mind

626 Posts
Thats probally the best route if your not 100% confident with wetsanding

Autoglym is okay stuff, as terms of polishes, their super resin and ultra deep shine wont actually cut your paint, they contain fillers that will fill in the swirls/smaller marks and moisturise your paint, although now ive written that they could be worth a try as it sounds like your paint has dried out?

In terms of cutting compounds you could do with something like Poorboys SSR 2 or even 2.5. If not you could always looks at Menzerna compounds or even Sonus, these will sometimes come in small sets (£25 ish for 4 250ml bottles) and may be useful in the future if they dont solve this problem

Its hard to tell what it could be without seeing the actual paint!

Have you noticed any oxidisation like flat paint or rough spots?

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.