Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum, am after some advice after a big smokey moment on the motorway..

I have twoggys old mariner blue Mk1 and was on boost and accelerating at around 80-90mph when the car hesitated then lost a cylinder and a lot of oil/smoke.
I dipped the clutch and rolled to a stop.
The turbo oil return had come off, there was lots of oil in the engine bay.
I got the car home, put oil return back on, filled with oil and started it.
It's now running on three cylinders, I have smoke at the exhaust but v good oil pressure and it comes on boost quite well, although I don't want to push it too hard.

Can anyone shed some light on what may have happened?

Thx

Andy

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Could you of put a hole in a piston, detonating the crankcase, popping the return off. A compression test could be in order

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies guys.
no comp test done yet- is happening today.
good point on piston pressurising crankcase but it now stays on fine and has great oil pressure still..
I'll post the results of the comp test

Andy

·
Oh, hai!
4,970 Posts
I wouldn't get hung up on the oil pressure being fine, you could have holed a piston or shit some rings and that won't affect the oil pump (unless bits of metal get into it, of course). Compression test will give you an idea of what's up. I suspect it's either eaten a piston, the rings or a valve. Either that or it's something simple like a loose spark plug blown out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well conpression test showed rear cylinder really down on comp and it billows smoke once it gets a little warm, so am assuming its holed piston/knackered rings..
When you take plug out and peer in with torch the cylinder is full of oil.
new engine time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.