Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Hi,

I have an ongoing project that's locked away in a garage for most of it's week. However I do try to take it for a spin around the car park every now and then.

I've noticed that after it's been left for a week (left in gear, handbrake off), the rear brakes will stick. Once I take the car for a spin the brakes free off and it'll roll easily. What could be causing the brakes to creep on whilst it's sitting?

Also not sure if this is related, but the overall braking performance is horrendous. Discs and pads seem recent, and the fluid is new. However the pedal is very stiff and there's hardly any braking effort at all.

I'm used to mx5 brakes and these are definitely not right!

Any advice would be great. As the car is a project I can refurb the calipers but I'd rather avoid that if it's something simple.

Cheers,

Tom.

· Registered
217 Posts
Not too sure about the brakes sticking as mine does this sometimes and i never use the handbrake. But as to the hard pedal and crap braking have you checked the servo is working?

· Registered
217 Posts
With the engine off pump the pedal a couple of times then with your foot on the brakes start the car if its working the pedal should drop slightly and the pedal get softer with the engine running.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to bump this up (after a year of the car being on the road).

The problem with the brakes was the lack of grease on the piston. The front left caliper was seized open and the drivers side was nearly as bad.

Both were rebuilt using new seals and pistons and are now incredibly good.

The creeping handbrake sorted itself out after a few days use on the road. No idea what that was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.