Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I decided to see if the fans on my 1.6 16V NA cut in and so I let the car run for a while. The temperature got all the way up on the gauge and nearly hit the H so I decided to stop the engine for fear of damaging it.

When I stopped the engine I could here the water boiling like hell and so I know it got hot enough for them to operate.
However they didnt!
I disconnected the fan plug and tried to use a test light on the live side of a fuse and another test light to the earth side and I was having no luck. It may have been that the test lights where not allowing enough current through to operate the fan.

So I took the fan off and connected it straight to the battery and it worked.

I then tested the plug which goes to the wiring loom and bridged the 2 connectors in the diagnostic plu and I heard the relay click but there was no power getting to this plug. I tried to trace the wires back and I noticed that they go to the big cube thing thats under a rubber boot protector. I think this could be another relay. I had no power on the wires of the fan. I decided to check the full 6 parts of this relay and there where 2 live pins and all the rest where dead. Even with the diagnostic pin bridged nothing came live!

Im not auto electrictian and so need your help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
It cant be the thermoswitch as I bypassed that by briging the diagnostic plug, its not the fan but there is no power getting to the fan.

Relay maybe?

Any suggestions most welcome

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You are testing the fan on the passenger side aren't you?

Pat...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are testing the fan on the passenger side aren't you?

Pat...
I have fixed it. I was testing the wrong fan and it was nackered. I bought a 2nd hand one off a friend and all is well. Thanks

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts