Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hope this isn't the wrong place for this thread, I recently serviced my parents R reg MX5 1.8 and whilst I was changing the oil filter I noticed one of these pipes weeping (the one my dad has attempted to tape up with PTFE tape lol just below the alternator).

All three pipes look pretty corroded so chances are I'll change all 3, can anyone give me the part numbers please and best place to buy?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Are they not pas pipes in the pic as apposed to coolant? Or am I looking at the wrong bit?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are they not pas pipes in the pic as apposed to coolant?
Yep, those are Power Steering lines... There's no solid cooling system pipework other than the metal pipe that joins the two bottom rad hoses together (and the inlet on the water pump if you're being picky).

Might want to get onto Junkyarddog to see if he's got a power rack for sale, as that looks perilously close to an MOT failure?

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
i was going to say ive never seen any metal coolant hoses on any ive worked on, any way any mazda dealer will help you out with part numbers if you call them, or go on mx5parts or auto links websites to buy them or contact memebers on her i.e junkyard dog.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys, think your correct about power steering, the engine on the MX5 is quite unfamiliar to me and I only had a quick look but did note that it didn't seem to be loosing coolant, looking at the prices and the fact they are planning on selling the car I might just change the one that is leaking.

Just had a quick look and I've found this http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/power-steering-pressure-pipe-mk225-p-2928.html, do you guys know off hand if thats the same as the one with the white tape on, the car is 30 miles away from me and my alternator belt snapped this morning so getting to the car is a problem at the moment.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
That pipe is for a mk2 onwards as your parents is an r reg it could be eaither a mk1 or a mk2, so befor we can help fully and say yeah buy it we need a few more details of the car bud as we dont want to give you the wrong info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.