Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I'm pretty sure I've diagnosed the fault, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has had or knows about these symptoms, before I start draining coolant and taking the system to pieces (again)!

Once up to temperature, I've noticed a small leak (well, occasional drip) coming from where the bottom rad hose joins the metal inlet pipe, below the exhaust manifold. When stationary you get the smell of flashing coolant, especially if the heater is on. The expansion tank level drops, but not massively.

After a run, you can see a patch of damp on the wishbone below the area where the hose meets the metal pipe- if you feel the underside of the hose, it's wet with coolant. I know from all the other connections that the combination of new hose with jubilee clip works, so I'm wondering whether the metal pipe has corroded through at the edge, letting some fluid out when it's under pressure?

The only reason I ask you guys is that I know these metal pipes are notorious for corroding, but I've heard it's the inside the corrodes, rather than the unions...?

It's most likely a drain and pull the hose off job, but wanted to check if there's nothing else I've missed, before I do it!

Cheers,

ZB.

P.s. The car's recently had a new OEM rad, full set of OEM hoses with jubilee clips and a new water pump.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey Guys

I'm pretty sure I've diagnosed the fault, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has had or knows about these symptoms, before I start draining coolant and taking the system to pieces (again)!

Once up to temperature, I've noticed a small leak (well, occasional drip) coming from where the bottom rad hose joins the metal inlet pipe, below the exhaust manifold. When stationary you get the smell of flashing coolant, especially if the heater is on. The expansion tank level drops, but not massively.

After a run, you can see a patch of damp on the wishbone below the area where the hose meets the metal pipe- if you feel the underside of the hose, it's wet with coolant. I know from all the other connections that the combination of new hose with jubilee clip works, so I'm wondering whether the metal pipe has corroded through at the edge, letting some fluid out when it's under pressure?

The only reason I ask you guys is that I know these metal pipes are notorious for corroding, but I've heard it's the inside the corrodes, rather than the unions...?

It's most likely a drain and pull the hose off job, but wanted to check if there's nothing else I've missed, before I do it!

Cheers,

ZB.

P.s. The car's recently had a new OEM rad, full set of OEM hoses with jubilee clips and a new water pump.
Where the water pump inlet joins with the pipe which then runs under the exhaust manifold and onwards to the heater, it is only sealed with an O ring. I am not saying this is the cause of the leak, but it is something well worth checking.
Regards Geoff Peace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.