Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,

I am new on here and new to MX5's having previously had Westfields in various states of tune until they were too fast and silly for the road.....and uncomfortable, so picked up a Mk1 1.8 G ltd a while ago.

It has been excellent fun drifting around on the budget ditch finders, but over the last few days i have noticed a very small puddle of coolant on the floor. I have taken the guard off the underside and had a look and can only see a tiny drip on the bottom of the sump, so assume the water pump is on the way out and allowing a leak down the block face behind all the timing belt guards. But it is a tiny drip. No slack in the water pump, no noises and no noticeable coolant drop.

Car is luckily a 2nd toy car, but is this a "fix now issue" or will it just get worst.....I was planning on going for a drive on New years day you see.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would fix this ASAP buddy it will start to get worse, and the last thing you want is to cook the engine.
M-m

·
Registered
607 Posts
Give me a shout if you need any pointers or a push in the right direction.
M-m

·
Registered
59 Posts
Before changing the pump it's also worth quickly checking the 8mm hose fittings on the underside of the thermostat housing and to the water pump inlet plenum, They're prone to corroding quite badly and a couple of mine would weep slightly till I replaced the castings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.