Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Confusing Misfire Problem

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Skuzzle 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I have a mechanical issue with my MX5 and have run out of ideas to try without spending a fortune swapping random things to try and fix it.

A few months ago my car started misfiring after hitting traffic after about an hour of motorway driving i.e. heatsoak. As it misfired the rev counter dropped down sharply and then came back up. I stopped and waited 10 minutes, restarted the car and it was ok. Next motorway journey and the same thing happened but it wouldn't restart for about an hour. After talking to some friends I changed the coil pack. The car had had new spark plugs and HT leads at it's service.

Changing the coil pack didn't resolve the issue as I expected it would. It got worse and would misfire even after a short journey to the shop and a restart (15 min drive)...this was when the weather was really hot.

After some more investigation I changed the crank sensor as I found some rubbing had occurred on the wiring to the sensor (outer casing only).

Unfortunately this hasn't fixed it either and, short of a very expensive trip to an auto electrician to look for a random wiring fault, I have run out of ideas. The only other thing anyone has put forward is the fuel filter but I don't see how that would be affected by heatsoak?

Does anyone have any other ideas what it could be or how I could try to diagnose what it may / may not be?

My car is a 2001 MX5 1.8 Icon. It was imported by Mazda so is technically a Eunos but badged as a mazda. Any ideas welcome!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.