Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick search and couldn't really find what I wanted so...
What are the advantages of mk2 coilovers on a mk1?
and is it literally as easy as just putting the mk1 top mounts on instead of the mk2?
Is there anything else different about the fitting?

Cheers in advance
Tom

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
There is no swapping tops. The entire mk2 leg fits. There the same car.

You can't use bits from both assemblys as they are different. You use either mk1 or mk2 suspension. On a mk1 or mk2 car.

The mk2 sits higher, so mk2 assemblys on a mk1 looks daft unless there height adjustable to compensate.

The mk2 assemblys mean your sitting on the springs, while the mk1 sits on it's shocks. This lowers road noise and gives a slightly more reffined feel.

I would of said that a lot better, but I can't seem to type today.

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Err that doesn't sound right. You can fit mk2 top mounts to a mk1 shock. Lots of people do it on gaz coilovers. Think it is because the mk2 top mount is deeper so the shock will be able to run lower without bottoming out. You may have read about people fitting mk2 cheap eBay coilovers to mk1's and the reasons for that is that they are cheaper and easier to get hold of, but you need the mk2 top mounts to fit to the mk2 coilovers to fit on the mk1. You don't want to be fitting standard mk2 suspension to a mk1 as stated tho, ignore the sitting on spring shock part,That's just confusing things.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers drift monkey so if I want mk2 coilovers then I need mk2 top mounts but they will still bolt up on my mk1 ok? They are a lot cheaper for some reason but by the time I've bought a set of mk2 top mounts they might not be

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Yup mk2 will bolt up just the same to your mk1. Contact junkyarddog and see how much a set of top mounts are. But its so much easier to just buy a secondhand set of ebay coilovers with mk2 mounts fitted, so no need to mess about with spring compressors then. Coilovers like bc racing, tein, meisters, k sports come with their own top mounts.

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.