Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have cheapo coilovers on my 5, I've tried to wind the rears down as far as I can, but the collars foul the drive shafts... is this just cos they're cheap and dont fit properly of is there something more seriously wrong with my geometry? :/

·
Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts
Cheapo coilies mate, TA technics??
when I fitted mine they were screwed right down, horrendous spine breaking crashy ride, driving on bump stops all the time,.
I refitted the helpers and screwed the perches up to clear drive shafts and ride is so much nicer and the car sits at 300mm from centre wheel to top arch

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j1wle0ho5v8ehnr/OSuyNNNEMI

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Depends how low you want to be! I agree with Phil! The ride is quite terrible (I have them on mine!) but for getting low without too much bother about the ride quality, don't suppose you can really beat them!

Having said that, ill be getting rid of mine and buying some hsd's or some other 'decent' brand as soon as my funds allow it (read: my wife allows it!) haha

·
Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts
As Jay says, for the money, I paid £120 for nearly new TA's and you simply can not moan, you can run low as you like or sit up higher and have very compliant ride. And I have found it does make the car sit flatter on the road and corner speeds have increased with greater confidence.
So in general, these cheapo suspension will never be as good as top end units but if you are on a tight budget you cant beat them.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent removed the helper springs - and from looking at the size of the spring thet would be left, it'd be a terrible ride - and my suspicions seem to be confirmed by some of the above comments!

I do want it to be silly low, it's not my daily and it's not fast, but I do still want a small amount of comfort... I have D2s on my civic and they go ridiculously low, but cant find any for the MX.... what are the best shocks for getting pretty much on the ground but still retaining a bit of comfort? :/

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thought the helper was only in there to take up te room when you jack up/get air to stop all the springs crashing about

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.