Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
She is slipping, definately due to power/heat rather than wear, its slipping at random times when on WOT. , just need to decide what to upgrade to now. Need to get it sorted pretty quick so I can get her on the dyno, not paying for dyno time with a slipping clutch!

Looks like options are....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-2-CLUTCH-KIT-94-05-MAZDA-MIATA-MX5-1-8L_W0QQitemZ350293901928QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item518f24c268 - cheap as chips, a bit too cheap, but I think a couple on here have them?

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4531&parentid=0&stocknumber=08-19010 - I would imagine being FM, it'd do the job nicely!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-LITE-FLYWHEEL-MIATA-MAZDASPEED-TURBO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQitemZ350327671118 - comes with a light flywheel!!

http://949racing.com/twindiscclutchmiata.aspx - stuff dreams are made of! lol

Anyone have any comments or other Idea's?

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Subscribed

I can slip mine when hooning and I can only asume when things have gotten too hot and there is little mechanical empathy.

I'm interested in any comments of guys actually running any of the above clutch systems.

·
Miss me?
4,552 Posts
My clutch gave out last Month so I booked the car in with Paul Sheard & told him about the M45 install (currently with Mr Fast this weekend) - he explained that there were a good few different Exedy clutches available & from his racing experience recommended & fitted one that would suit the car easily up to around the 180 BHP mark.

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
I'd be looking at the FM clutch, will hold the power and feel almost like stock.

I'd steer away from any Ebay clutch (but maybe that's just me).

The 949 Racing clutch is probably waaaay overspecced for what you need, and I'd imagine it ight be a bit of a bugger to live with day-to-day.

Try [email protected] and see what he's got in the way of clutches.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Subscribed

I can slip mine when hooning and I can only asume when things have gotten too hot and there is little mechanical empathy.

I'm interested in any comments of guys actually running any of the above clutch systems.
Same here, it dosent slip in normal driving, or even being enthusiastic, but a good hoon has seen it slip twice in about 30 miles.

·
Blue is the colour - not the mood
3,297 Posts
Agree with Richy, I like the near OEM feel of my Spec II.

Mine is fitted to a 10.3 Lbs steel billet FM flywheel and has the optional light weight aluminium pressure plate, so the whole set up is really quite light but I have not had any problems with it and the feel is really good.

My only concerns are will it be man enough for my new engine. The Spec II will handle 275 lbs/ft though so it should be ok, if the engine exceeds that I think the car may try and kill me

Michael

·
Registered
259 Posts
i'm in the same position at the moment looking for a clutch to hold 230flbs from what i've read the SPEC clutch seem well respected if you can find a UK supplier otherwise its over the pond. eBay clutch seem a bit of a lottery i think if your happy to fit it your self with the view you may need to replace it in a short space of time then fine.

I'm going to buy a ACT stage 1 organic should be up to the job but i expect the peddle feel to be a bit heavier (?345 from funkypower)

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Another with the Spec stage 2, also have the lightweight pressure plate and lightened flywheel, feels great even after loads of tearing away from traffic lights lol...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another with the Spec stage 2, also have the lightweight pressure plate and lightened flywheel, feels great even after loads of tearing away from traffic lights lol...
just been reading abut the spec 2, seems to be between this and the FM1 for me now, I'm being put off by the 500miles no boost thing with the spec clutches, why is this? seems a bit extreme!!

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
I fitted one of these http://www.competitionclutch.co.uk/mazda-mx5-18l-19942001-stage-4-1620-6-pad-ceramic-sprung-clutch-kit-p-309.html

Pedal isn't heavy at all my car is at 220bhp but the clutch is rated up to 450bhp.

The delivery was quick but the price on the website doesn't include vat which makes them a bit more expensive.
what the bitting point like, i was always under the impression that paddle clutches where a bit on/of very difficult to hold on hills

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
2nd ebay linky, with the flywheel, is stock.

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
just been reading abut the spec 2, seems to be between this and the FM1 for me now, I'm being put off by the 500miles no boost thing with the spec clutches, why is this? seems a bit extreme!!
Because the friction surface is a karbon Kevlar composite thingy rather than an organic material. If you glaze it by slipping too much when new, you've ruined it. So super long bend in time makes sure that never happens.

500 miles isn't *that* far tough, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things really.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Because the friction surface is a karbon Kevlar composite thingy rather than an organic material. If you glaze it by slipping too much when new, you've ruined it. So super long bend in time makes sure that never happens.

500 miles isn't *that* far tough, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things really.
[/quote]

I've got a Spec 2 lightweight clutch and it's very good, chirps a bit when I'm slipping it and get a little bit of judder at very very very very slow speed.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ilooking like a toss up between the spec 2plus, and the fm1. Track dog racing are impressing me most at present with their offer on the spec 2plus, for same cost as spec2, with very cheap shipping. Can find a uk supplier, p5 aren't supplying at present.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
any links to these spec clutchs? i can't find a thing. even knowing there on the tdr site is not helping me find them.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Ilooking like a toss up between the spec 2plus, and the fm1. Track dog racing are impressing me most at present with their offer on the spec 2plus, for same cost as spec2, with very cheap shipping. Can find a uk supplier, p5 aren't supplying at present.
can you pop up a link pal? i can't find them. As the only source is out the country and with so many of us due a new one....
But mainly i want the price.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
can you pop up a link pal? i can't find them. As the only source is out the country and with so many of us due a new one....
But mainly i want the price.
[/quote]

http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/engine/spec_clutches.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.