Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 1.8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've recently replaced the clutch and gear box in my 1997 1.8. I originally thought that the release bearing was going so decided to change the entire clutch while I was down there. After fitting said clutch I had suspicion that the gearbox was on its way out, this was after a fun weekend at SantaPod. So I ordered a second hand box from prestige auto and changed to a box from a mk2. After fitting the new box I'm now having rather loud and concerning noises. When the clutch is fully depressed it sounds like something is grinding, then when releasing the clutch in first or reverse as you find the bite its like the clutch is slipping.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be or has anyone encountered it before?

TIA Rob

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
167 Posts
Having just watched a video online of someone’s bad spigot bearing I’m 100% convinced that this is the problem, thank you very much for you help. I guess that’s what I get for buying a three piece kit instead of the 4 piece.
Good to hear - I actually had my spigot replaced knowing about the problem before hand, and guess what, it was still crap afterwards because there's a bad batch of bearings out there in the world somewhere :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 1.8
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to hear - I actually had my spigot replaced knowing about the problem before hand, and guess what, it was still crap afterwards because there's a bad batch of bearings out there in the world somewhere :rolleyes:
I’ve just taken the box out and when I’ve checked the old bearing it’s completely seized not a single but of movement in it. I’ve gone with the replacement from bofi, fingers crossed that gets to me in the next couple days and I’ll get it fitted. Took the time to gets a couple other goodies while I was ordering though🤣

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
167 Posts
I’ve just taken the box out and when I’ve checked the old bearing it’s completely seized not a single but of movement in it. I’ve gone with the replacement from bofi, fingers crossed that gets to me in the next couple days and I’ll get it fitted. Took the time to gets a couple other goodies while I was ordering though🤣
Blimey long overdue then - nice one :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have just stripped an engine down on the bench and the spigot bearing had not been istalled properly and it fell on the floor when I took the clutch apart, it was seized up and some of the clutch plate springs were broken.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts