Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I notice a clunking noise when pulling away, on full lock, spinning after a failed drift and sometimes over bumps.

I've had a look about and nothing is loose and the drop links seem ok, shockers are fine and anti roll bar is solid.

If I grab the drive shafts on either side and 'wiggle' them about - with the handbrake on - the left rear is completely silent and solid but the right has a little movement 'up and down' - not in and out, which can be heard as a sort of knocking noise.

The car is a mk2 with a torsen lsd, which part would be causing this noise? am I supposed to have play in the shafts, not rotational play, it's up-down, away and towards, NOT 'in and out' or rotating.
I'll put a video up trying to demonstrate what I mean, any help would be appreciated, It's bugging the hell out of me.

·
Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
doesn't seem to be, they are also new rubbers on the exhaust throughout.

Here is a half arsed attempt at a video about the drive/ halfshaft on the drivers side rear.

also, does that PPF bolt look ok? it's not moving at all with the breaker bar, not sure if it's supposed to have this gap or not

sorry for the shakey footage, but this noise doesn't happen on the passenger side, only the drivers side, if I slow right down in second and put the power on i get a clunk, almost like it's got too much slack.

MOT is in a couple of months, would like to try and fix it should it be a problem.

cheers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That bolt dont look quite right to me but it may not be where the sound is coming from. Its not a knocking caliper making the sound is it?
Tap the caliper with some thing to see if you get a knock. You may already know this but worth dismissing the comon things first

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.