Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just changed my front brake discs and pads on my mk1 mx5.under slight braking there is a slight clunk before you come to a stop? didnt do it before,i greased the slidders up etc and thought everything was working as it should.

Cheers Adam

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
did you replace the shim plates behind the pads and the springs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought mintex discs and pads and did not come with the shim plates but the ones i replaced never had them and never made a noise. weird. They never came with the springs either does that make a big difference?

·
Waiting For The Summer
2,445 Posts
Mine did that for the whole life of my last set of pads, more noticeable during three point turns.
When I put the new pads in, I made sure I smeared copper grease on both sides of the shims, and it doesn't happen any more

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
They never came with the springs either does that make a big difference?
The springs help to keep the pads off the disc. You can buy spring kits from MX5parts.

My rear brakes used to clonk like I had a stack of plates in the boot. Silent since fitting the springs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the help guys i will take the springs off the old pads and put them on the new ones just no so see if that helps

·
Registered
126 Posts
What was the outcome of this??

I've had a clunk from my brakes since fitting new disks and pads, I have the springs but there weren't any shims on the old pads.

Autolink want ?2 per shim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts