Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I've hit the point where I need another car, I live in Newcastle and work near enough in Portsmouth so spend 5 hours on a sunday night and up to 8 hours on a friday afternoon commuting to work and back, I'm tired of doing the journey in my eunos so i'm going to buy something else as a runaround and take the eunos off the road and restore it, the idea being if i can acheive a real-world 60mpg then i'll save myself £300 a month in fuel, which will quickly pay for the second car, and from then on will pay for the resto on the eunos.

I want something cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure, tax band B or C and as reliable as can be expected for a cheap old-ish car, I'm not fussed about image and performance as long as it's competent at motorway speeds.

so, I want to spend around £1500, so far the cars i can see that "fit the bill"
  • fiesta 1.4 tdci - a mate has one of these and its super frugal but I find the seats quite uncomfortable on long journeys
  • clio 1.5 dci - never driven a diesel one, they seem popular but I'm wary of french cars from my days as a mechanic
  • megane 1.5dci
  • citroen c3 1.4 HDi - tax band B which is even better.. but again, french
  • Peugeot 206 1.4hdi - as above
  • 307 hdi - although i've heard nothing but bad things about 307's in general, and the few ive been in seemed cheap and nasty
  • corsa 1.3 CDTi
  • Yaris D4-D
any others that I've missed?

does anyone have any real experience of owning/driving any of the above? real world mpg figures etc?

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had an 03 1.0 corsa as my first car before I got an mx5, not quick but a decent car all round. Its hard to make a comparison to how it was to drive now, all i remember is the mx5 being amazing in comparison, but cost wise it was brilliant. Half the tax I pay now, probably half the fuel bills if not less, i often wish i still had it because i wouldnt be so skint! You can also get a surprising amount of stuff in one if you try, and play a lot of tetris.

·
Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
I had a clio 1.5dci (the 105 bhp one) 2006 - got about 60mpg out of it normally, up to about 80mpg (but that was driving at 55 very close the the back of lorries on th motorway...)
Lovely looking car inside and out BUT had trouble with the drivers side electric window not working, the electronic dash not working intermittently, the wipers occasionally didnt work, and I had a massive repair bill for front suspension through various bushes and rubbers failing... I got rid of it in the end because I knew something else was only round the corner. I only had it a year

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a Yaris 1.3 sr for sale if you interested for exactly £1500? 87k fsh pretty dam mint. Pm me and I'll email pics later if your interested bud
regularly get around 37mpg provided you don't rag it, motorways its excellent
thanks, but no thanks, my criteria are pretty firm.. has to be band C and has to be able to acheive 60+mpg, cheers anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.