Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a thought for a while now about doing a DIY charge cooler. Can someone sanity check my ideas please.

I think i'll need the following

1. A small header tank. (possibly an old screen washer bottle)
2. A pump.(12v water pump - how many litres/minute would i need?)
3. A small radiator.
4. A Jacket and water pipe fixings fo rthe cross over pipe (would I be better off with a helicaly wound copper pipe that takes the flowing water sitting inside the jacket?)
5. Some pipe work to hoook it all up
6. Some one to do all the hard work for me

Any ideas?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I dont understand why you,de want a chargecooler ? Just more to go wrong and it would need cooling fans in traffic ( unless of course you use your aircon to cool it ?) And lets consider the extra weight involved

How about a normal intercooler and use a water spray to increase cooling , rig it to your ecu so it only powers up during high boost pressures ? ( just a suggestion)

·
Mine's a Beer
1,682 Posts
I made a Charge cooler set up last year and it is remarkably effective

My kit consist of
Alloy Radiator header tank from a Renault 5 GT
15L/PM water pump
Alloy Radiator from a Fiat Cinquecento
PWR Cooler barrel (this is the most important bit it is not as simple as a jacketed pipe they have an intricate core)
Standard heater hose to hook everything up
Thermostatic control to activate the aircon fan if the water temps rise (this is essential as they can heat soak in traffic)

It took me about a day to fit everything and wasn't that hard, but it took a while to get everything together and work out how to fit it all in

Where abouts in the country are you? you are quite welcome to have look at my setup

·
Registered
476 Posts
I made a chargecooler from a Lindsey Racing Hard Pipe, fits nicely where the crossover goes. Have a look at their latest finned hard pipes.

- Flojet pump placed under the front bumper (5gpm I think and capable of running dry safely if there is a leak)
- Rad/Fan mounted in the undertray (front mount harder if you have A/C but better)
- No expansion tank since the volume of water and the temperature variation doesn't justify it when using flexible hoses. Just make sure you can burp and top-off. (i.e. a plug at the highest point in the water system).

The upside of a water intercooler is that there is no increase in throttle volume so no need for a DTB setup or a new ECU to cope with the idle problems.

The downside is efficiency, 50-60% would be doing well. Your step 4 method will probably not offer enough heat exchange area to even get 30% efficiency. It's all about temperature difference, cooling area and sufficient mass to absorb the heat during a few seconds of boost before it can be released off-boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts