Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

After blowing up my engine around a month ago, I've had a good long think about the state of my '5. The body isn't in the best of conditions, and there's a few niggly things I'd like to get sorted. I then thought, rather than spend a lot of time, effort and money doing that, I'd be better off stripping it and building a kit car. Then I found this...

http://www.greatbritishsportscars.co.uk/

Has anyone on here built one of these, or something similar, before? If so, is this a good one to go for (I've always loved the Lotus 7/Caterham style) and is there any advice you can give as regards the build, hidden costs, quality of the kit etc.

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Thats what was Robin Hood... not one of the better ones, in fact its one of the worst when I was heavily involved in the Kit Car world (8 years ago?). The original suspension design had some fundamental issues that you can probably still read about on the club forum unless they have redesigned everything.

I know people always say its better to build it yourself so you know what you're getting into, but if I was doing it again (i've built 3) I'd buy one already made / registered and run that, potentially even do a partial strip / rebuild but you'd most likely still save money and time.

Russell.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've seen a few well built GBS Zero's - and I have to say they are a world away from the bad old days of Robin Hood's......if I was after a 7 style car , I would certainly consider it .

I built my Fury , and overall it was an enjoyable experience - if you can find the workshop time and have more tools than you think you are likely to need , go for it !

But be sure of one thing - its gonna cost a lot more than you think , unless you can make anything you need

·
Registered
985 Posts
This company is local to me and I have got first hand experience of them. They are a world away from the old robin hood cars the guy that runs the company has pretty much redeveloped the whole car and I believe is currently developing the chassis to use mx5 engine and running gear. How ever another local kit car company to me is MEV which I would have thought would be a simpler first time build and have considered one myself .

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Good to know that its been redesigned... to say the least it needed it! Just had a bit of a read through the history and it looks like when Robin Hood was bought out in 2006 things started to change for the better. Its good to see as they were always a big player in the market so at least they are now churning out decent kits.

Tiger always seemed good, and the MK Indy seems like a decent enough kit at the right end of the market. If its specifically an MX5 based kit that you want then you are limited at the moment, but wait 6-8 months and there are 5 or 6 more that will be released, it looks like quite a few of the kit car companies are heading our way for the donor.

Russell.

·
changing gear is over rated
1,700 Posts
Built a westfield myself. I would stay away from any 7 clone that uses a monocoque sheet steel setup over a proper tube chassis design. When I build mine I bought the minimum off westfield, just the chassis & body panels, ended up costing about £7k to build a 175bhp zetec westie

look at the svd & mvd kit at the bottom here http://westfield-sportscars.co.uk/sport-kits.html
Its been a few years but all I got from westie was the chassis & suspension, bodywork, loom & windscreen. Add that to a rotten mx5 you will have most of the bits you need

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess the important question to ask is what's your budget?

As with any kit car, the cost of the kit is only a fraction of the cost associated with building the car, they'll always be plenty of other parts you'll need to factor in together with the costs of IVA testing and regestration with the DVLA.

My own car which is an MX5 based Westfield was roughly £4K for the starter kit, £1K for the MX5 donor parts, £1K on testing and registration and then the remaining £7K of my build was spent on all the other parts such as trim, instruments, screen and wipers, seats wheels etc etc.

Happy to help with any questions.

·
We Got Goodwood Style
2,950 Posts
As has been previously mentioned the GBS Zero is a world away from the Robin Hoods. Its the old company but new owners, designs etc. My mate Adam is the features editor for Complete kit Car magazine and he told me its pretty damn good. Other MX-5 based kits worth noting are the Roadrunner SR2, MEV Exocet and TRLane Retro.

·
Registered
716 Posts
i had an old robing hood (i think it was a mk2?) in the dark and distant past, 2.0 litre pinto, sierra based.
its was truly dire!
picked it up fully built and registered for not much money and sold it within months.

kev

·
Registered
454 Posts
Before you do anything decide how much you have to spend, and what you want to use the car for. Then look around and see what fits your budget and needs. The best thing you can do is to go visit the manufactuers your interested in. If you cant do that then go to one of the big kit car shows they normally start around May time. Building a kit car is a fun, rewarding, frustrating and wallet busting experience. But that doesn't mean you cant have the same experience restoring your 5 or any other classic, you just need to decide which direction you want to go
I've done the kit car thing now i'm going the cheaper restoration route which frees up more time and money for track time etc

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Do you think its possible to have a kit car for less than 3 grand? Like the MeV, sure they have a scenario on their website saying its possible.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I see Tim Lane has developed a mx5 based kit car (see his web site), I think he is launching it at the Autosports international show next month.

I have no idea on pricing or how it compares to its price rivals......

Barry

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Both the SR2 & Westfield are the best of the current crop at the moment. The SR2 fibreglass is a direct copy of the Westfield FW bodywork.

We personally would pick the Westfield, we feel the kit is the slightly better developed.

Another consideration with a kit car is the support you will get and the owners club. When you build it, it becomes more than just a car!

The westfield club (WSCC) is very active and good - smokey mow is a one man wealth of knowledge on the MX5 kit and knows it inside out - he is a huge help to others building them!

His own car is absolutely stunning.

Test drive both, research all and see which suits your needs best - what is right for one may not suit another.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Do you think its possible to have a kit car for less than 3 grand? Like the MeV, sure they have a scenario on their website saying its possible.
Yes, but don't do it. This is part of the reason why Robin Hood et al got such a bad reputation, so many people building cars as cheap as they could, rather than doing it right.

Russell.

·
We Got Goodwood Style
2,950 Posts
Yes, but don't do it. This is part of the reason why Robin Hood et al got such a bad reputation, so many people building cars as cheap as they could, rather than doing it right.

Russell.
[/quote]

General rule is double whatever you think it will cost. And you can build an exocet for 3k but it would be shit and doesn't include getting it on the road

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.