Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Carlimits Day

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Andy449 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just back from a carlimits day, hosted by Andy Walsh at http://www.carlimits.com/

Had an absolutely fantastic day, apart from turning up late due to a flat battery... d'oh!

I recommend it to absolutely everyone - I can't imagine having more of a laugh with your car anywhere! At only ?40 you can't really go wrong...

Here's some pics:

Rob's roadster... you may have seen this car somewhere before!

My roadster

A couple of guys were out on the drift course, too:

Coolest car was easily this 4.7l V8 sierra, complete with 1.6 badge on the boot!

Here's some youtube footage of it on the day:

And this is me...

Footage was recorded using a chilli technologies actioncam:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Actioncam-Action-Video-Camera/dp/B001CQQ7J4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271600520&sr=8-1

with one of these glued to the front:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000AAGNQK/ref=oss_product

The sound is pretty bad, but the video itself is ok for the price. The wideangle lens is necessary, as the standard field of view is punishingly narrow!

I also bought a CG-Lock on the day. I was very impressed. I did a couple of runs without it so I could feel the difference. Without it, I was bracing myself against the transmission tunnel and trying to wedge myself in the seat using the clutch-foot rest. The CG-Lock took ten minutes to fit and, sitting in the car, I wasn't too convinced - it didn't seem to hold me that tightly. It was a couple more runs before I realised I was now concentrating totally on driving and not having to brace myself at all. It worked brilliantly. ?40 is perhaps a little steep, but its cheaper than buckets and harnesses and much more practical on a car that's used mostly for the road.

All in all, a bloody marvellous day. I'll do it again as soon as I can!

Oh, and does anyone have any idea what that clonking noise from the front left is on the short circuit video? My ARB drop-links are in place, my bearings seem fine, my only guess is it might be the bushes are shot...

See y'all...

See less See more
4 6
#3 ·
Starting to think maybe I posted in the wrong place! You can see the tumbleweed in here......

No, I haven't worked out what caused the clonking but I haven't really investigated it yet. I haven't heard it on the road since, so it must take only pretty fierce manoeu... maneu... manoue... manoaue... turns to make the noise happen.

Feels a bit weird having to drive the car normally again... I keep telling myself 'No, don't try to steer it on the throttle...!'

#5 ·
Hmm... thanks for the advice. I'll get under the car and take a couple of pics when I get the chance.

It's not too bumpy on the airfield - I wasn't aware of anything you had to consciously avoid. There are a lot of changes of surface though. Take a look at my vids above. It's pretty much like that!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've done two days(in the RX8,they were club days, maybe it would be worth doing one in this club We had one person turn up from Manchester and a couple more from Leeds) they are indeed great fun, they can wear your tyres rather quickly, but the does depend on how you drive. I've thinking about doing a four man day at some time

Paul

#7 ·
not putting down Carlimits but this club allready has a dam good relactionship With MOT and its much better for you lot since its just normaly all mazda's and all the staff either own a mazda or have had a few in the pasted they know what they are doing and also steven the instruter is probley one of the best there is you should read his CV im bloody jelous.

o just to let you know I do not work for MOT event's (shame i dont work for them id save a fortune) I just allways seem to be there and spend a far bit with them since there day are well run and great fun.

#8 ·
I agree MOT is good I've been on two track days with them, and hopefully doing more this year

But car limits is also good with a club car day ,which I have done all the same cars, I wouldn't want to do it with all different car either.
As for Andy Walsh (instructor on car Limits) he is a racing driver races Lotus Elise's and was a ex F1 test Driver, so his one of the best

Paul

#9 ·
Carlimits was a great day out. Its cheaper than the MOT car control days (although I can't comment on what additional facilities MOT might lay on) and, for me, Epping is a lot easier to get to than the locations that MOT use. As for being in the minority, MX-5s were the second most popular car after the elise/exige variants. For me, the variety of cars was quite a draw too. Comparing times between an MX-5, an RX-8, an Esprit turbo and a pinto-engined kit car was quite fun!

Sure, if I can get to an MOT event I'd love to go to one but in the meantime, carlimits is easier and cheaper and still a helluva laugh!

Neil

#11 ·
Done the activity day a couple of times now, once in my dads elise and once in my mx5 and such a fun day, will be doing a 4 person day in a months time to learn a bit more so i can get more out of the trackdays,

However never get walshy to teach you how to do anything on two wheels:Video

#12 ·
How much one on one tuition do you get for ?40? Did you think it helpful?

I spoke to 2 people at Abingdon trackday last friday about doing it, one said it was really helpful to learn how to control the car when sliding. The other said it was just patronising with Walshy showing off basically saying "i can do this, why can't you"?

#13 ·
you dont tend to get any tuition on a ?40 day, unless you ask for some tips or they see you doing something stupid, However it is great fun seeing how quick you can get round the short tracks, and the high speed bend (you can lear alot from this bit). If you just want a fun day out to drive right to the limit without any worries hitting something then it is well worth a go,

Walshy does like to show off abit, but all racing drivers are a bit like that really, but it all depends on how he appears to come across patronizing for some, informative for others.

#14 ·
Right so the ?200 day is the one thats more worthwhile. I can go into corners too fast on trackdays to see what happens, done it too many times by accident already
I want someone actively telling me what to do from the passenger seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.