Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well lads having major issues with geting my build finished couldnt get it started for ages found out then i was getn no power to the ecu while cranking, dropped to an auto electrictan he said the back of the ignition is faulty and itll start when he by passes that, but runs very lumpy and back fires and sometimes cuts out all is this is without fuel pump on , with the fuel pump on it wont run at all.
already checked that fuel lines were on right ones
also that plug leads were correct .
an other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
That makes no sense whatsoever, if the fuel pump wasn't on your car would not run.

Period.

Can you provide a little bit more information? And when I say a little, I actually mean a lot, all you've basically told us is you have an MX5 and a megasquirt and it doesn't work.

What car?
What MS?
What mods on the MS?
Etc etc

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it must be running briefly with whats left in the line , 94 eunos 1.6 , megasquirt is a reverant unit from over on miata turbo , im sure its something small jus wondering did anybody know anything obvious. i dont know what model megasquirt is,

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi mate, glad to hear you've found the source of the original problem, that was really frustrating for everyone trying to figure it out.
So the electrician jumps the bad section and the car runs lumpy until the fuel dries up because the pump isn't on.
With the pump on and the bad wiring jumped it does not start at all.
This makes me think that something else along the line is shorting out causing no power to the MS or maybe just no power to the spark.

Is the pump run from the MS? Probably not with the early Mk1's IIRC.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
well lads having major issues with geting my build finished couldnt get it started for ages found out then i was getn no power to the ecu while cranking, dropped to an auto electrictan he said the back of the ignition is faulty and itll start when he by passes that, but runs very lumpy and back fires and sometimes cuts out all is this is without fuel pump on , with the fuel pump on it wont run at all.
"back of the ignition is faulty" ... please clarify.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
"back of the ignition is faulty" ... please clarify.
[/quote]

That's a pretty common type of failure, when you go to 'crank' on the keyswitch, the 'ignition on' wire drops out, rather like an 'accessory position'
Effectively the car would bump start and continue to run but won't start with the starter engaged. (though sometimes they'll catch as the key returns to the 'ignition on' position)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts