Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Car Wont Fire After Megasquirt Install

3K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  viceverca 
#1 ·
Well, after a hell of a week trying to install my mini supercharger, EV14 650cc injectors, and intercooler i finally got the MS (from reverant) installed this afternoon with the help of some fellow nutzers.

To cut a long story short i tried fire up the car to set the timing and it wouldnt fire. I've had a look about the engine and cant see any fuel or anything else that looks out of place. I've taken a log of what happens so hopefully somebody will be able to tell me whats going on.

http://www.mediafire...015z18kke241cu8 - log

http://www.mediafire...015z18kke241cu8 - basemap

I'm really desperate to get the car at least running even if i cant use the full potential of it. Need it to get to work on sunday night.... Any help would be great.

Thanks, Sean.

#2 ·
Have you contacted reverant, your ms should be plug and play so maybe you have not done something you should, I assume reverant gave you good instructions so I would have a re-read of those.

Do you have spark and fuel?

Barry

#6 ·
Do you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition on?

#10 ·
Reverant should have the ms programmed to your specs, you really need to contact him, dont get changing settings in TS until you have or you will just loose yourself. P&P is P&P, if you have told reverant the spec of your car/inj size etc etc it should start. It sounds like a minor settings issue in ms, let rev sort it for you......

Barry

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've contacted him now, sent him the log that I took earlier too. He is on vacation atm and he saysthat he'll look at the log tomorrow when he gets to his laptop. I feel like I've pestered him enough for one day.

I'll give it a go and see if that works. If not I'll revert back to the original settings.

#14 ·
Okay, i tried increasing the cranking pulsewidths by 5% - 20% .I only changed the PW's for when coolent temps are 10*degrees and 20*degrees though as the coolent temp was sitting at 18. Should i have changed the cranking PW's for the whole range? The engine did sound like it was wanting fire a bit more than previously, but i think the battery is also starting to drain with the constant cranking, so i've called it a night and will wait and see what the main man's verdict is tomorrow.

Cheers for all of the advice so far though.

#16 ·
I managed to run the battery flat trying to crank it yesterday morning, so i had to go get a battery charger and re-charge it. It's on charge right now so hopefully should be good to go in a few hours.

I checked the spark plugs on friday night to to see if i could see any problems with them.

I noticed that there is some black deposits down the where the plug seats, is this normal? I was also expecting to find the spark plugs wet with fuel but there didnt seem to be any sign of fuel at all. Should i be concerned with that?

Cheers Sean.

#18 ·
for reference, checking for spark and fuel is pretty straight forward, can be a bit messy but its an easy thing to check. ground the plugs on the block (need to insulate obviously) and whip a hose off to check if fuel is getting through. not at the same time obviously.

there must be loads of videos on youtube showing you how to do it etc.

#20 ·
Well, we are having some trouble trying to record a composite log so that reverant can try and diagnose whats wrong. For some reason TS isnt letting any composite log save. Has anybody else experienced this?

Here's a vid of whats happening.

#21 ·
Looks like neither of the crank/cam sensors are getting read. When replacing the injectors, did you unplug any of the connectors? Are all grounds back in place?

#23 ·
So i've spent the past 4 hours scouring the engine bay trying to find any loose connections or ground wires that arent connected, The only wires i found unconnected was the plug that connected into the MAF and one other cable.

Anybody know where thats from?

I also removed and refitted the intake manifold and injectors too and couldnt find any loose connections to the injectors either.

Whilst checking the connections i also fucked the GM IAT sensor connector, so i'll have to get another one of those from somewhere too. I've seen one eBay but it looks like it may take up to 5 days to get here. Does anybody know where i could buy one from or what cars they are fitted to in the UK?

Cheers, Sean.

#27 ·
I managed to find a replacement GM IAT sensor with pigtail on ebay.co.uk! Result.

I continued troubleshooting today and decided to try run the standard ecu with the larger injectors installed, just to prove that i am getting spark and fuel, which i am. Would this also prove that both the crank and cam sensors are also fine as the car is starting up, albeit rather lumpy.

Sean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.