Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is doing my head in.

Ever since i had my diff welded my car has pulled to the left slightly. Only slightly. It will pull to the left gently if I let go the steering wheel.

After diff was done I went and had the alignment checked at skidmarques (they use the hawkeye laser system) and all is good there.
I also had all the bushes and ball joints checked for play and they are all good.
I've taken the brakes apart and greases the slider pins. After a long drive the disks are all roughly the same temperature and the wheels all spin freely when jacked up so all good there too.
I do have a worn Tyre on the drivers side rear at the moment but I have swapped it over to the passengers side and it still pulls left so I don't think its that.

what else can it be?

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
Don't want to risk teaching Granny to suck an egg here...but 5's are notoriously sensitive to PSI too. Even 3/4 pounds out can cause pulling.
Plus, odd tyres will have differences in tyrewall rigidity ( Toyos are well known to be soft for example)..so that could do it too.
So, running say 28 psi all round with a mix of sidewalls may not be the best combo?
I know Jack about diffs so I'll shut it now!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im on toyo's actually so that might be a good call. ill check the pressures now....

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
Actually, on second thoughts our Sport will only twitch going up through the gears/ lift off if the pressures are out....so now I'm not so sure.
Good luck though!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
34?!? Not being funny but you are aware that most people run 28 right?

Another likely suspect could be your rear brake callipers, check that they are both correctly adjusted

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes plenty aware of that but i like mine at 34. the toys sidewall is too soft for 28 im my opinion.

rear calipers are adjusted fine and working fine. though due to the welded diff they would have to rotate at the same speed even if they were binding.

anyone know of anything else it could be?

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
Last thing I'm left with, since it's pulling to left, is the road camber itself. Take it on a dual carriageway and see what happens?
Are the tread depths even too?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
freaky: brakes are not sticking as they are all the same temp after a long drive and if i jack it up all wheels spin freely. it also doesn't get any worse if i brake.

ecosse: i did think it was that for a while and it definitely does it more on a road with camber but even on flat roads or the motorway it does it so i don't think its that.

i got my alignment done by them about 6 months ago. then when i had the diff welded as the mechanic was putting it back together the rear subframe brace wouldn't line back up to its holes in the subframe. indicating that the subframe had moved or something on it had. since then it has pulled left.

a few days later i took it to the alignment center to get it checked. they put it on the hawk eye thing and the print out was almost the same as when i got it done 6 months ago front and back. they said there is no reason for the car to be pulling left with that alignment so i just put it down to the road camber but as i said i have since discovered it does it everywhere and i think its actually getting worse.

is it possible the alignment center could get it wrong?

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
freaky: brakes are not sticking as they are all the same temp after a long drive and if i jack it up all wheels spin freely. it also doesn't get any worse if i brake.

ecosse: i did think it was that for a while and it definitely does it more on a road with camber but even on flat roads or the motorway it does it so i don't think its that.

i got my alignment done by them about 6 months ago. then when i had the diff welded as the mechanic was putting it back together the rear subframe brace wouldn't line back up to its holes in the subframe. indicating that the subframe had moved or something on it had. since then it has pulled left.

a few days later i took it to the alignment center to get it checked. they put it on the hawk eye thing and the print out was almost the same as when i got it done 6 months ago front and back. they said there is no reason for the car to be pulling left with that alignment so i just put it down to the road camber but as i said i have since discovered it does it everywhere and i think its actually getting worse.

is it possible the alignment center could get it wrong?
Wherever humans are involved, there is always the chance of error but I doubt it if they use the equipment you state.
Something somewhere is not quite right which gets me back to a question,(and the last thing I can think of bar a cock up in the PPF/Diff dept.) Q? Are your tread depths broadly the same?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
in honesty no my tread depths are all over the place but it pulls left regardless of where i put the wheels. Ive swapped them all over the place to try to solve this.

the wheels spin fine and have no play or noise but i suppose wheel bearing is possible.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would question the alignment check .Mine drifted to the left and was found to me 10mm out so even a little makes a difference as it runs straight now .

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
then when i had the diff welded as the mechanic was putting it back together the rear subframe brace wouldn't line back up to its holes in the subframe. indicating that the subframe had moved or something on it had. since then it has pulled left.
Suggest you take it apart again and see if you can line it up better.
If it's not this then does it pull at all times or only on throttle or only off throttle?

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I had my stupid welded diff it liked pulling to the right and left at times... Now have a LSD and its completely fine now so might be the diff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts