Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Car Misfiring And Stuttering When Warm

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ecosse 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

Not sure if you can help but thought i'd ask!

MX5 1.6 2001

Car drives fine when started up from cold, can do about 30 minutes of driving until the car starts getting lumpy when pulling away from lights and generally in the low gears. Drives fine once you're above 30mph but in the lower gears and under load it starts to sound like misfiring and lack of power until it comes back in. Can hear a few pops in the cat if you give it too much throttle in the low gears!

I've bought a CPS and CAS sensor to try but is there anything that springs to mind, or has anyone else had a similar issue?

Many thanks!

#2 ·
I think the most common that happen to me is when the ht Leeds take moisture in and the spark is quite wasted in between... The best cure for that, is to bring the car in temp, and then remove the ht Leeds and let the moisture to steam out.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I think the most common that happen to me is when the ht Leeds take moisture in and the spark is quite wasted in between... The best cure for that, is to bring the car in temp, and then remove the ht Leeds and let the moisture to steam out.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
Agree... when mine started misfiring like this I changed the leads (and plugs) and everything is now perfect.

I've never tried allowing the leads to dry out in this particular way though. Let us know if you try it and it works.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Although the bizarre thing is that the car is perfect for the first 20/30 min to drive. Strange how it just starts acting weird once everything is up to temp!
If the leads are degraded the rise in temperature could explain this. I believe (it was a long time ago I studied this) that as temperature rises insulators can become less effective - which would allow your spark to go to the block and not the plug.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had similar issues last year with our 2002 Sport 1840cc. Fine for around 10 miles-ish...then runing on two/three pots.

Leads & plugs...funnily enough using a fault reader....led to changing both.

Failed to cure it.

The danger of course is screwing the CAT by pumping high-temp unburned fuel through it.

In the event, it was the twin-lead coil packs that (to be fair) were original at 104k miles, had simply had enough.

Runs sweet like a new car now with new ones as it bloody well ought to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.