Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a mechanically sound MK2 but it has severe paint dulling/oxidisation. Small dots of metal visible in various places all over the car but no flaking/rust or bumps, it's still smooth for the most part but a fine grit over the rough parts should smooth it out.

I don't want to bust out the money for a full respray as I want to drive it for a bit and get a feel for what I want done. I was however thinking of wrapping it.

I've measured it up and about x14 1-1.5m rolls of wrap should be enough, which puts it in £260-£400 range depending on the colour/vinyl quality.

Thoughts? I've got plenty of experience invisiframe wrapping mountain bikes, so similar techniques on a much smaller scale :).

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
420 Posts
Wrap is supposed to be applied to a prepared surface free of defects blah blah at least that's what everyone says

But I've seen wrap applied to all sorts of surfaces without issues. I think as long as the paint is not going to flake off (bear in mind you need to heat the surface as push relatively hard with a credit card to smooth)

Worth also remembering that wrap doesn't hide blemishes, it enhances them, if the surface isn't completely 1 contour, e.g. there's a divot or crack in the paintwork then the wrap will just magnify this ten fold.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Worth also remembering that wrap doesn't hide blemishes, it enhances them, if the surface isn't completely 1 contour, e.g. there's a divot or crack in the paintwork then the wrap will just magnify this ten fold.
Yeah this is the part that worries me. There is no crack in the paint or anything but the paint is basically completely different shades in many places, I'm not sure if this will show through the wrap or not. The car is red, so I was going to go with a bright colour, I will respray it back to the stock colour at some point in the future but the quotes I am getting so far are £2-5k depending on garage and frankly, it's cosmetic so I want to wrap it purely so I can sleep better haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the underlying paint isn't sound, expect to do significant damage when you come to take it off
Ha yeah 100% not sound. I 100% full expect to respray this car, it can't not be resprayed. The fact the car is in excellent running condition with rust free arches/sills/under it would be an absolute sin to not respray it. So I don't care about the existing paint, the previous owner clearly never either :(.

Is there any further damage the removal of the wrap could cause? I assume the quotes I have been getting are including strip, sand, primer, paint, clear coat but I never asked further questions since the quotes were way out of my price range.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
420 Posts
£3-5k is what I would expect for a decent paint job including prep, primer, removal of panels and re-assembly
Nod to the wise, ask them if they have an oven and ask to come and see a finished car.... don't make the same mistake as me.

If you have the space, the time and the ability to learn, you can paint it yourself for a fraction of the cost. I only couldn't as the paint is hazardous to breathe in and my neighbours already complain when I start my car because it "smells of petrol" ... :yawn:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nod to the wise, ask them if they have an oven and ask to come and see a finished car.... don't make the same mistake as me.
Good advice thanks!

If you have the space, the time and the ability to learn, you can paint it yourself for a fraction of the cost. I only couldn't as the paint is hazardous to breathe in and my neighbours already complain when I start my car because it "smells of petrol" ... :yawn:
No space :(. I only have a single garage and it's currently my gym (yet I'm still fat, go figure). I honestly couldn't give 2 shits what my neighbours think, the day that trampoline went up in the garden is the day my fucks went 6ft under.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,751 Posts
fat and stronk we hope. I've a recently repainted car that I'm going to get wrapped. it lives outside so it'll need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts