Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My spitfire of course has no power streering but my TRLane SC kit needs the pump pulley.
i have brazed up the larger pipe and reduced it to 10mm so I can loop the p/s fluid but it looks rubbish having a pipe looping.
Can I remove the insides of the pump and fill it up with fluid?

Reduce drag too I expect.

Cheers

Martin

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have the same problem and ran the pump with no fluid for a couple of years but recently replaced it and want to somehow make a closed loop and put some fluid in. If you do find a solution thats better it would be good to know.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
There is more than one pump, but find a pic of yours gutted and you should be able to drill straight through it to join up the chambers.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
Mk1s with A/C but no PAS have an idler pulley in lieu of the PAS pump.

Relatively rare in UK or JDM spec though, almost all Mk1s with A/C have PAS as well. USA might be the best place to look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370678958697

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
The TRLane tensioner doesn't need the PAS pulley at all, but it does need the PAS pump to bolt it's self to.

So just manufacture a bracket to remove the requirement of the PAS pump

EDIT: looks like it needs the pulley to move the belt into contact with the tensioner pulley. Adding another idler pulley onto the tensioner bracket will easily solve that.

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
If you look at this picture of the TRLane tensioner:

You can visulise the patch the belt has to take. the right most steel idler pulley is the one which tensions the belt, if the PAS pulley is missing (and there's also no A/C) then the belt instead og going down vertically will go at a 45deg angle to the crank pulley.

In this instance the tensioner won't really be able to puch against the belt to tension it.

However if you add another steel idler a few inches below it you can snake the belt around it before it disappears off to the crank.

Looks like there's enough steel on the tensioner plate to drill a hole and add another idler in a location broadly similar to the now absent PAS pulley..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.