Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to adjust the camber angle on the front & rear wheels?
If it is how and is it a DIY job or a professional one?
What is the max positive camber for a road car?
More for looks than anything else.

·
Engineers Do It Better.
293 Posts
You adjust the camber by loosening and then turning the eccentric lower wishbone bolts (same all round). You can do it at home if you have a flat floor (really flat) and some fishing line.
Because you can turn either or both of the lower wishbone bolts, you never affect only camber unfortunately. So you need the alignment strings to check that your camber is right, then adjust the steering link bolts to fix toe, and if you can, check the caster too (also adjusted with the lower wishbone bolts)
It would probably be as well for you to go and get a proper alignment done and tell them what camber settings you want. I have personally used the string method and its alright, but a bit of a ball ache and if you've not got any idea what you're doing it might get a bit messy...
I think my right front 'bone is fucked so I'm not entirely sure what the max camber is, but I could get about 2.3 out of the left front, and the rears would happily have gone 3 plus I think.

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://1.bp.blogspot...Explanation.jpg

If you mean negative camber,
As my car is lowered I could only get to a max of -2 camber on the rear, after that it would start to go back positive...

If I wanted to go further I would need to buy some modified bolts to allow a greater range of adjustment
Yes...I did mean negative camber and not positive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Really? For looks?

[/quote]

Yes...is that a problem?
I suppose that the handling would be improved as well?[/quote]

Usually the reason for changing the camber would be to improve the handling. Looks wise you would need to run some serious negative camber to get anything visually noticeable and then your tyre wear would be very heavy.
If you aren't using your for track then the trade offs make it not worth it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? For looks?

[/quote]

Yes...is that a problem?
I suppose that the handling would be improved as well?[/quote]

Usually the reason for changing the camber would be to improve the handling. Looks wise you would need to run some serious negative camber to get anything visually noticeable and then your tyre wear would be very heavy.
If you aren't using your for track then the trade offs make it not worth it.
[/quote]

Aha....got it now.
Maybe worth having the alignment and the camber all checked at the same time I suppose?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Get a full 4 wheel alignment done mate. Forget looks. Make the car handle, that's the best thing about a 5.

Make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing. There are plenty of us on here.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Not sure down there. We are near Newcastle so a little too far for you

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You need to decide where you want to go with the chassis positions...... If you are desiring a looker then you will get around -3 degrees camber out of the OEM adjusters but you will reduce some other angles, so in essance it's not a drivable option.

Depending on the suspension height around -30/ 50' front camber and -1 degree/ -1 degree 50' rear works well on a 5. Point to note is to much camber is a bad thing because it reduces the size of the tyres contact patch and if this is done you lose grip.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Because there are two adjustment bolts per wheel, it is probable that you will muck up toe without realising it. On the front this is easy to fix but on the rear it would have bad consequences. Therefore get a pro to set your car up. Well worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.