leave as is00.00%
Black lettering350.00%
silver lettering00.00%
rub off the paint for metal/polished letters00.00%
something else - another colour, please suggest.350.00%

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Had a very quick go at painting my cam cover in the past 36 hours.

Would like some opinions please.

Only things that spoiled it were a) the crappy paint I got from ebay running out much quicker than it should and spraying badly from the can.

b ) the cloud of cement dust and wood shavings that surrounded the drying cover in my garden as my neighbour and his Dad suddenly arrived home and did some work on his house extension. (angle grinder on concrete and lots of timber work with circular saw)

c) my inexperience in trying to resolve the issues above. Particularly the dust thing.

I love the colour and think it will look great in my montego blue car but the finish has a fair few dust related imperfections and side effects from the remedial work I tried to improve those bits.

Not sure I should bother with lacquer as I like the semi shiny finish and really dont know about colouring the letters - any thoughts on this welcome.

Im on a tight schedule as it should be charger time next week

Cant really see the dust in these pictures but the imperfections are definitely there.

Cheers
Jonathan

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Couldn't you get the sticker off the cam belt cover first?

As for the letters - get a touch up pen in montego blue and paint them in that

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Couldn't you get the sticker off the cam belt cover first?

As for the letters - get a touch up pen in montego blue and paint them in that
Nice idea - i have the montego blue pen.

that is some peeling tape -was going to keep the little plaque thing - do you know what they are for?

·
The only " Dave in the village"
4,339 Posts
Paint looks good to me
you could paint the raised lettering,or polish off the paint on the raised lettering,or indeed leave as is, i think all would work just fine

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
I'm a sucker for silver letters on red camcovers, or other way round. Probably looked too many Italian underbonnets in my time

Don't be offended, but I'd get that horrid label off, wet grit the unfortunate pollution that fell on the job, and do it again. I'm 100 certain you'd be better pleased in the end

Ohh...and pop some blue tack over these bolt holes too

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
was going to keep the little plaque thing - do you know what they are for?
Nope, I sanded mine off.
[/quote]

I thought it was to do with when cambelt was changed in Japan??? Usually shows certain amount of km's?

As for colour, looks good, as for imperfections, my chome one is rather worn and un cared for, (i've polished it best i can!) so i've seen a lot worse!

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
Sort out the imperfections in the paintwork as already suggested, then highlight the letters in blue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.