Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of painting the lettering yellow on my cam cover (i've already polished it so its shiny rather than dirty!)

So, what sort of paint do i need, how do i do a good job of it without painting the shiny top!? The letters are receeded into the cover rather than sticking out.

Heres a pic before i polished, as i havent got an after shot yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
get yourself a can of engine enamel / brake caliper enamel in your desired shade.

clean the area you want to paint, will be hard to get a good key in there, enamel is pretty hardy so will stick anyway

get a paintbrush of appropriate size and go for it.

just take your time

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I used a paint brush and just let the paint drip into the lettering, it will level out on it's own.

I used a red hammerite which did the job nicely.

That looks mint. I had another idea, but after seeing that i won't bother shareing lol

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that looks the dogs danglies

Something to do over the weekend i think, chees guys

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Or you could just slap the paint in the recesses and using a cloth dipped in thinners wipe over the top to remove any paint on the rocker itself. I've used this method several times now and it works well and it's much quicker! Takes about 5 minutes using the "wipe off" method. Probably works better on a chromed cover than a painted one though

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
if your expecting a clean up opperation, then go around the spill zone with crayon or wax or grease. Anything as an easyly removed barrier, To stop the paint getting a hold of your alloy.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
if your expecting a clean up opperation, then go around the spill zone with crayon or wax or grease. Anything as an easyly removed barrier, To stop the paint getting a hold of your alloy.
Great tip!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think i'm going to go for the delicate option, the chome has chipped & melted (
) a bit on the cover, so spillages are a definate no no!

Its not goin to be immaculate, but it'll look better for the moment!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just going out to do it now.

Yellow Hammerite - Check
Kitchen Roll - Check
Paint brush - sod. The hunt begins.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Progress so far (with the aid of a torch and a tea spoon - couldnt find a small enough paint brush!)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
finished. not great but not too shabby.

The chrome finish is way past its best but the yellow has made it better imo.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I definately dont recommend the thin handle of a cheapo teaspoon method, though it does work, just need the patience of a saint, and a strut brace to lean on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.